The Bitwig evaluation thread

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Bitwig is...

Awesome: well designed, suits my workflow, I am gonna switch
13%
A curate's egg: Good in parts. But there are flaws and missing features
36%
Meh: a big letdown. Bring back Cakewalk!
12%
I don't know. It's too early to tell.
28%
What's Bitwig?
11%

Total votes: 141

TTOZ

Re: The Bitwig evaluation thread

Post by TTOZ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 pm

I honestly think it's the biggest pile of overpriced rubbish I have ever tried. What a joke. All the hype, 3 years buildup, and it's like a kiddie toy in comparison to the other stuff currently available, without the kiddy toy price. I can be honest about it here, at KVR I have to be nice or will get banned.

I have never been so underwhelmed in my 21 years of making music by a supposedly major software release, and i personally call it bitshit.

Ableton, fix PDC, and bitshit doesn't stand a chance. People will move to it just because of that if you guys don't fix live. They will punish themselves in other aspects to have tight timing in their projects. I guarantee it.

But if you fix Live's timing, bitshit is like the wannabe that will never be remotely as good.
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:01 pm

Well the "pro" price tag indeed seems to be the major problem with Bitwig.You can't release a public beta but ask an "industry standard" level price for it.

timday

Post by timday » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 pm

TTOZ wrote:Ableton, fix PDC,
Most of the posts on this thread can be abbreviated to this.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm sick of the snoot snoot snoot from them. They made their bed, now lay in it. The complaints go with the territory. If they didn't want so much complaining then maybe the should learn how to run a business.

deva

Post by deva » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:41 pm

PDC is supposed to be fixed in the 1.0.4 Bitwig update. Along with a bunch of other stuff and some improvements as well...

fzero

Post by fzero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:47 pm

I wrote my impressions over here.

TL;DR: It’s nice and worth it if you don’t use Live yet, but there are no real reasons to switch for now. It’s very possible that Bitwig 2.0 could change that (actually I’m betting on it).

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 pm

I still don't understand the bitwig 2.0 thing.

26 months from when "in beta" was put out and they were talking about 2.0 when there was no 1.0

(giant headbang)

Don't get it at all. Are we thinking that 2.0 will be out faster than 1.0 from "in beta?" I mean, really?

Honestly, I've got things to do. I don't have that optimistic viewpoint. On one hand, I kinda think buttwig has run its course, but I guess I'm not quite ready. Someone piss me off really good! :lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm

eyeknow wrote:Are we thinking that 2.0 will be out faster than 1.0 from "in beta?" I mean, really?
Imagine the work it takes to write a DAW from the ground up.
Now imagine the work it takes to add some features to a DAW that exists.

This is not the same amount of work. It will not take the same amount of time.
It seems the modular system is already there driving everything underneath the surface, it exists, it functions, you can already interact with it. It certainly won't take 4 years to expose what is already there.

My guess is one year.

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 pm

eyeknow wrote:I still don't understand the bitwig 2.0 thing.

26 months from when "in beta" was put out and they were talking about 2.0 when there was no 1.0

(giant headbang)

Don't get it at all. Are we thinking that 2.0 will be out faster than 1.0 from "in beta?" I mean, really?

Honestly, I've got things to do. I don't have that optimistic viewpoint. On one hand, I kinda think buttwig has run its course, but I guess I'm not quite ready. Someone piss me off really good! :lol:

this is my thinking cause I can only go on what I have witnessed *thus far*. I have no reason to have any confidence whatsoever that the program will be improved in a timely manner. I honestly believe before it is competitive it could be 2020.
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Angstrom wrote:
eyeknow wrote:Are we thinking that 2.0 will be out faster than 1.0 from "in beta?" I mean, really?
Imagine the work it takes to write a DAW from the ground up.
Now imagine the work it takes to add some features to a DAW that exists.

This is not the same amount of work. It will not take the same amount of time.
It seems the modular system is already there driving everything underneath the surface, it exists, it functions, you can already interact with it. It certainly won't take 4 years to expose what is already there.

My guess is one year.
Maybe. But I'm in great puzzlement because we just waited forever for this and even two years ago, they were talking on THEIR site about version 2. I dunno, I'm weirded out. I think I'm addicted to bitwig threads. Is there a BA (bitwiggers anonymous? )

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:54 pm

playing with high pitch modulations on audio clips sounds awful.

polysynth is very attractive.

automation has plenty of bugs.
switching from one window/tab to another for achieving a simple task is surely not a workflow booster.

still work to improve this promising wannabe daw.

A part of me cant resist very long when I remember all the showoff and yada about how bw would have been ironed and polished when it was ready for official release.

only first impressions

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:00 pm

Now that Bitwig is out, the ball is in Ableton's court. If Ableton comes out with a nice version 10 and Bitwig can't respond back, then the Abe's will leave the Bits in the dust.

That said, I think Bitwig will hit back pretty hard with V2.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:03 pm

eyeknow wrote: I think I'm addicted to bitwig threads. Is there a BA (bitwiggers anonymous? )
It's right here, eyeknow :(

fuziohm

Post by fuziohm » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:26 pm

fx23 wrote:well i tested her on latest version, on 2 computer, and other reported as well, PDC is corrupt, and confirmed officially by bitwig on kvr forum.

take a kik bass or any loop. add a "tool" device, equivalent to utility. draw an automation of gain (!of tool, not track vol) gating only first beat
=it works as espected.
now add a fab filter pro Q in linear phase before automated device,= befor "tool".

result: exactly same as ableton, sync is totally messed, of the amount of latency.

I made exacly this, but instead of pro q, i put tons of ozones before the tool device that was making gate automations. In ableton with just one eq eight it start to shw phase issues, without any filter.

i'll make more test later. Anyways, i think thay said that will fix in 1.0.4.

The software isn't complete as ableton, but ableton fail on the basic things too, my sound has a lot of layers, and i have to export audios and warp because this shit PDC, to sync with other layers. And this without talking about the problems in automation.

Bitwig need to improove their product, but this companie seems that will step up, while other seems that is doing downgrades.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 pm

jlgrimes wrote:Now that Bitwig is out, the ball is in Ableton's court. If Ableton comes out with a nice version 10 and Bitwig can't respond back, then the Abe's will leave the Bits in the dust.

That said, I think Bitwig will hit back pretty hard with V2.
Ableton Live 10?? I'd think that most of the fixes people are requesting should be in 9.5. A new version should be an overhaul. I wouldn't imagine a Live 10 for another 2 or 3 years. Unless you just love paying for upgrades :P

I'll also mention that Live 8 had a few decent updates before they jumped to 9. Even 9 has evolved here and there since launch.

The concept of Live 10 should be things you didn't know you wanted. And therefore there should be no reason to anticipate 10 and it's features until they start teasing about it.