wtf bitwig? - full review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mihai

wtf bitwig? - full review

Post by mihai » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:36 pm

arch 86/64 w/ fluxbox

first attempt of running it lead to yaourt not finding all required dependencies and it wasn't until it completely crashed mid-project and corrupted everything that the issue became obvious. pacman didn't have much luck with a better install either.

ubuntu server 12.04

though install ran smooth and syslogs didn't show any errors or redundancies (go apt-get!) the cli was completely nonexistent which is a huge minus for a server environment. it also seemed impossible to ssh into it for remote operations (i.e. renders).

cent os

again install ran fine but it didn't allow configuration via cPanel which renders it useless in a production environment. i read someplace [internet] that although it's compatible with cent os, bitwig has some issues with red hat so enterprises keep away. i.t. teams should be prompted of this.

**edit**
for sublime text and text mate users: there is no available plugin for our beloved editors nor does it look like one will come out. very surprised at this, very surprised.

conclusion

even though the hype has been built up over the past couple of years it seems this company is really just a bunch of amateur programmers and all mac fanboys can go produce their cool dubstep or deep house or whatever on it. professionals who demand a stable server/other production environment will stick to the tried-and-true tools of the trade.

beats me

Re: wtf bitwig? - full review

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Is there a place I can read this review in English?

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:33 pm

beats me wrote:Is there a place I can read this review in English?
This is what passes for a "full review" in linuxland.

Mac and PC users just want to know if it works as described, is fun to use, makes nice noises, has a few cool features, etc, etc.

Armatures.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Mac and PC users just want to know if it works as described, is fun to use, makes nice noises, has a few cool features, etc, etc.
That's hilarious!

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Lol at the review :)
beats me wrote:Is there a place I can read this review in English?
Here is the translation:
mihai wrote:arch 86/64 w/ fluxbox

first attempt of trolling lead to trolls not trolling all required noobs and it wasn't trolled it completely trolled mid-troll and trolled everything that the troll became obvious. trollman didn't have much luck with a better troll either.

ubuntu troll 12.04

though install ran smooth and syslogs didn't show any trolls or trolols (go apt-get!) the troll was completely trolly which is a huge troll for a troll environment. it also seemed impossible to troll into it for remote trolls (i.e. lulz).

cent os

again troll ran fine but it didn't allow trolls via trollPanel which trolls it to qq in a troll troll. i read someplace [le'internet] that although it's compatible with troll os, bitwig has some issues with red troll so trolls keep away. Troll teams should be prompted of this.

**edit for super trollolz**
for sublime troll and troll mate users: there is no available troll for our beloved trollers nor does it look like one will come out. very surprised at this, very surprised.

conclusion

even though the hype has been built up over the past couple of years it seems this company is really just a bunch of amateur programmers and all mac fanboys can go produce their cool dubstep or deep house or whatever on it. professionals who demand a stable server/other production environment will stick to the tried-and-true tools of the trade.

It was pretty good though, and it provided many lols :)

In honesty, have you tried the linux client yet? Have you had any issues? As someone who used Ubuntu desktop for about 4 years before getting a mac, I think this, more than anything is Bitwig's #1 feature...
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

mihai

Post by mihai » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:56 pm

ttilberg wrote:In honesty, have you tried the linux client yet? Have you had any issues? As someone who used Ubuntu desktop for about 4 years before getting a mac, I think this, more than anything is Bitwig's #1 feature...
i love linux for a lot things and sure, i might play around on it with a/v tasks; for actual audio work i don't see anything outside of mac os or windows be suitable or reliable enough too soon for many reasons.

and no, actually. i haven't tried bitwig at all, ever. though it's still a curious and ambitious project at this stage.

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:44 am

Linux...a recipe for rapid, stress induced hair loss.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:50 am

Hmmmmmmmm, but I've never used linux. Hair......... y u no grow????????!

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:16 am

Do you grok grep?
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:38 am

I agree with your comments on stability, but not everyone uses music applications professionally. It has it's places, especially in the music/pc hobbyist niche. That said, $400 for Bitwig puts it well above hobbyist.

Ever since buying a real, solid computer, and being able to afford software, it has thankfully been a non-issue for me; I still appreciate the development, thinking of people who used to be in my shoes years ago (people trying to stop pirating shit, including their OS, with low end computers).

I'm certainly not of the camp that tries to convert people to linux lol -- but I appreciate development in that area.

I sed awk.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Linux is very well suited for professional computer users like myself. I have been using it at work for well over a decade now.

It is heartening to know that Bitwig offers a real pro DAW solution for Linux but disheartening to hear about the hassles Linux users are having. I'll bet if they use done of the "commercialized" Linux versions like Red Hat it would work OK.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:30 pm

i'm sure the Linux community is up in arms about this software that you... pay... for.

i'm sure they're all bashing in their alias and their credit numbers so they can can cd, mkdir, and apt-get Bitwig and then killall the music scene the world over so they can finally take a well earned night off of coding. :roll:

Broomptish

Post by Broomptish » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:11 am

H20nly wrote:i'm sure the Linux community is up in arms about this software that you... pay... for.

i'm sure they're all bashing in their alias and their credit numbers so they can can cd, mkdir, and apt-get Bitwig and then killall the music scene the world over so they can finally take a well earned night off of coding. :roll:
Aye someone had to say it Christ!