Artillery 2 anybody?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fenderguy4life

Artillery 2 anybody?

Post by fenderguy4life » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:52 pm

I have Artillery 2 by Sugar Bytes. Got it as a freebie with my Akai MPK25 purchase. Is it worth installing? I'm running win8 and Ableton Lite 9. Day 2 learning Ableton here.
Wake up. Sing. Play. Record. Repeat.

braduro

Re: Artillery 2 anybody?

Post by braduro » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:15 pm

If you have a midi channel to dedicate to it, along with at least a section of a keyboard, why not? It has some immediate effects that are worthwhile, although I didn't get anything essential beyond the LE version from the Computer Music demo version, and it's pretty light on the CPU...

fenderguy4life

Post by fenderguy4life » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:14 pm

I don't know, it seems to have most of the same effects in live I would use; delay, reverb, compressor, chorus, eq, etc. I was initially thinking it had keyboard instruments. That's what I really like, good piano instruments. On the other hand, it sells for like 200 bucks retail so it must be worth something. Could the effects be somehow better than the ones that come with live? I mean, who is Artillery's target audience? I haven't opened the package yet. Maybe I can sell it on Ebay if it's not going to be a vital part of my workflow.

braduro

Post by braduro » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Yes, an unopened unlicensed package or artillery 2 would get you something on eBay.
It's not so much that the effects are new territory, it's more how it's fired or routed through clips. And yes, you could accomplish this through chains and native devices

fenderguy4life

Post by fenderguy4life » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Thank you for the reply braduro. I'm having fun with Ableton just the way it is. I'm mainly a musician and I run my outboard effects mostly with guitar anyhow. Vocals need compression, reverb, eq, etc. Ableton appears to have other effects for me to experiment.

These days the line between musician and recording engineer are getting blurred, huh? I doubt I will ever be a world class engineer, but that's not my goal. My goal is to get my music down and out to the public. Ableton is helping in that respect. I just uploaded a short to SoundCloud. Easy. Enough rambling. Back to the music. Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

I still have questions on the actual use and layout of Live. I'll be crawling the forums for help. Thanks again!

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Artillery's selling point is that it is a keyboard triggered multi-effect, so yeah, you have effects you might find elsewhere, but it's more about playing them in realtime. You could download the demo from sugarbytes (http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/down ... hp?lang=en), see if you like it, then sell your unopened copy if you don't think it's something you'd use. That would be my suggestion anyway! It's definitely different than using ableton's native effects, unless of course you spent a lot of time racking them and setting up keyboard triggers, but you'd probably need more time with the daw/vst to really appreciate what those differences are. I personally would not be quick to sell it if you got the full version free, but it obviously comes down to individual preference/need.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:04 am

it's awesome - I use it on all my tracks - have fun

fenderguy4life

Post by fenderguy4life » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:16 am

antarktika wrote:Artillery's selling point is that it is a keyboard triggered multi-effect, so yeah, you have effects you might find elsewhere, but it's more about playing them in realtime. You could download the demo from sugarbytes (http://www.sugar-bytes.com/content/down ... hp?lang=en), see if you like it, then sell your unopened copy if you don't think it's something you'd use. That would be my suggestion anyway! It's definitely different than using ableton's native effects, unless of course you spent a lot of time racking them and setting up keyboard triggers, but you'd probably need more time with the daw/vst to really appreciate what those differences are. I personally would not be quick to sell it if you got the full version free, but it obviously comes down to individual preference/need.
Good idea! I was unaware of a demo version. Thanks for all the info.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:10 pm

it's a very nice plugin..