I've made a bootleg remix, but Soundcloud keeps removing it.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: I've made a bootleg remix, but Soundcloud keeps removing it.

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:20 pm

I admit I take issue with a little known producer remixing a track by a current hot artist and getting upset when they can’t get maximum free unquestioned exposure for it on the internet. It seems to me like blatantly trying to leech off that hot artist’s popularity to get exposure for themselves.

Just to throw a number out there, have at it with any track that was released at least 10 years ago. Still a lot to choose from considering the entire catalog of recorded music up to 10 years ago. Yes, it will probably be a bit harder to both remix and get exposure for it, but shouldn’t be a major issue if you have the chops.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 pm

This discussion is turning into a bit of a no-one-is-listening-to - anyone - else flame war...

There's two sides to this story. There's the validity of the artist's right to be acknowledged and to profit in some way. There is the creative freedom of other artists. The two are in tension, but they can be reconciled.

And the rights and the wrongs of the situation are always dependent on the specific facts of the case in point, not on general principles.

As far as I am concerned, as long as the original artist is acknowledged, and as long as there is fair exchange of value (if any), there i no need to get on a high horse.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:38 pm

The Finn wrote:This discussion is turning into a bit of a no-one-is-listening-to - anyone - else flame war...

There's two sides to this story. There's the validity of the artist's right to be acknowledged and to profit in some way. There is the creative freedom of other artists. The two are in tension, but they can be reconciled.

And the rights and the wrongs of the situation are always dependent on the specific facts of the case in point, not on general principles.

I think we could hurl more accurate judgment if we actually heard the remix which ironically we can’t.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 am

TomViolenz wrote:Funnily this would for me be a situation as I have described it above. I never listened consciously to Skrillex, so his remix would be the first time I did ;-)
But you wouldn't be listening to Skrillex. You would be listening to a remix (especially a bootleg) of Skrillex, which is a very different thing. That was my whole point in my previous post ;)

Organik_Dream

Post by Organik_Dream » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 am

So you buy Traktor scratch for example, and layer other artists tracks back to back , press filter button here and there, cut the middle and paste it back as intro, press swoosh button here swoosh button there and become major artist on soundcloud. Its sad but ist 80% of the current soundcloud crowd. Interesting argument....maybe not..

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:23 am

OK, I clearly need to buy Traktor Scratch 8O

Organik_Dream

Post by Organik_Dream » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:12 am

The Finn wrote:OK, I clearly need to buy Traktor Scratch 8O
Now if you are advanced then you can tap on your collection of ready made 4 bar loops and slap it on the track to take it to next level. Make sure you keep pressing the stutter button on traktor here and there and make sure your put your name on the track as the artist who remixed it on soundcloud .. :roll:

:P