Nicks Tutorials - worth every penny!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daniel_S

Nicks Tutorials - worth every penny!

Post by Daniel_S » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:15 pm

For all those who like me would just fire up presets within their chosen synth and then play around with settings not really knowing what they were doing or why, I would seriously recommend paying for some of the tutorials on Nick's site - they're not a lot of money and you'll learn a lot more than watching youtube videos which are more of a "paint by numbers" approach rather than a proper lesson.

I dont know the bloke so this is not a sales pitch haha, but simply a pointer in the right direction for those who are beginners in this area.

I now know that Analog is indeed a powerful synth that CAN produce some amazing sounds when you know how.

His methods are thorough and helps you to understand what everything does and why and when you would want to use a particular parameter.

What's more, it now means I can just stick to using Live's built in instruments rather than having multiple pop-out windows, cluttering up the interface.

Obviously, whatever subtractive synth you decide to use - whatever you learn here transfers across all of them pretty much.

http://nickstutorials.com

stoersignal

Re: Nicks Tutorials - worth every penny!

Post by stoersignal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:13 pm

i watched them years ago! and i only can say that i had absolutely the same impression!
really great stuff

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:50 pm

I also bought the analog vids after recommendation, and they are quite thorough; however, I haven't watched them all, because I kind of forgot about them.

I'm just curious, what was your favorite thing you learned, or what was one of the things you came away with most solid?
Last edited by ttilberg on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

Valery_Kondakoff

Post by Valery_Kondakoff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:51 pm

+1
CU
VK

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:18 pm

ttilberg wrote:I also bought the analog vids after recommendation, and they are quite thorough; however, I haven't watched them all, because I kind of forgot about them.

I'm just curious, what was your favorite thing you learned, or what was one of the things you came away with most solid?
For me, it's the understanding of how LFO modulation works on every part and how to use it to achieve certain variations that's so common in electronic music. How the filter envelopes actually work on the sound and also the power of detuning the oscillators to help thicken the sound.

There's still some questions I have to ask but these are now just little details rather than a complete lack of knowledge about the whole instrument and how subtractive synthesis works in general.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:36 pm

I can cosign on this. I had several of Nick's tutorials. They are worth every penny.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:55 pm

You guys are really nice, thanks for the kind words. One day, I'll get off my lazy ass and make some more full tutorial series :lol: