Bitwig is the Killa!?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
su
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:09 am

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by su » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Bitwig's UI reminds me of Sonar's and other linear DAWs. A cacophony of buttons, sliders and displays. With such displays, my brain freezes up as I visually scan the UI trying to find the element I want. In contrast I find working with Live's clean, spare interface to be a very fluid experience. As so many others have said it just stays out of the way.

There's a lot of variety in how people process the visual information in tools. I have no doubt that the visually dense UI s of BW and the like are efficient for some folks.

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:35 pm

su wrote:There's a lot of variety in how people process the visual information in tools. I have no doubt that the visually dense UI s of BW and the like are efficient for some folks.
Very true. What works for some man not work for others. To me Bitwig just looks cheesy, like it's a toy or something. I guess it could grow on me. I originally didn't like Live's interface, but it grew on me. Now I love it's no nonsense interface. It really does "stay out of the way".
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

Nick Shepherd
Posts: 314
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by Nick Shepherd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:37 pm

beats me wrote:I switched to Logic years ago. I didn’t realize I should have marked the occasion with a scathing post to Ableton. I suppose I was under the assumption that there were still users who enjoyed using Live. I now realize I should have informed them they were lying to themselves based on my experience. I also now realize that liking the features I found in Logic should have been a call to arms against Ableton for not having the same features, and dare I say, quality.

This post has been eye opening.
qft...

I now kinda feel silly for still using live as my main daw and even worse about actually beeing super productive and inspired by this buggy piece of shit.

also, cool that you still stick around xzusa8ky - we would propably all be lost without your guidance :oops:

xzusa8ky
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:
beats me wrote:I switched to Logic years ago. I didn’t realize I should have marked the occasion with a scathing post to Ableton. I suppose I was under the assumption that there were still users who enjoyed using Live. I now realize I should have informed them they were lying to themselves based on my experience. I also now realize that liking the features I found in Logic should have been a call to arms against Ableton for not having the same features, and dare I say, quality.

This post has been eye opening.
qft...

I now kinda feel silly for still using live as my main daw and even worse about actually beeing super productive and inspired by this buggy piece of shit.

also, cool that you still stick around xzusa8ky - we would propably all be lost without your guidance :oops:
I dont care if you like my posting or not! Its cool if Live works for you and you feel good with it. But dont expect that i will shout my mouth about how i am feeling about Ableton and Live, i wish you all the best using Live. You can have all the bugs and problems for you alone, happy crashing...... I will now make some music with Bitwig because its just makes so much more fun and that without crashes! I am a happy man, and i love the freedom to speak! :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

xzusa8ky
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm

kb420 wrote:
su wrote:There's a lot of variety in how people process the visual information in tools. I have no doubt that the visually dense UI s of BW and the like are efficient for some folks.
Very true. What works for some man not work for others. To me Bitwig just looks cheesy, like it's a toy or something. I guess it could grow on me. I originally didn't like Live's interface, but it grew on me. Now I love it's no nonsense interface. It really does "stay out of the way".
Come on! Take you Sunglasses of and enjoy life, Bitwig looking like a toy?? Hmmmm.......Maybe you should do yourself a favor and try it out before you eat your cheese....... :mrgreen:

Ps: Yes Live ist staying out of the way, surely! Bitwig has everything where a Pro wants them, no more swithing to see what you do, everything is right in your face...Lives interface just cant beat Bitwigs, sorry.....!
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:33 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Come on! Take you Sunglasses of and enjoy life, Bitwig looking like a toy?? Hmmmm.......Maybe you should do yourself a favor and try it out before you eat your cheese....... :mrgreen:
As I said in one of the other Bitwig threads, when Bitwig gets the following basic Ableton Live features, I might consider trying it:

1. Track Folders
2. Input Quantize
3. Hot swapping for drum rack pads
4. More flexible midi routing
5. Better vertical track zooming
6. "Snap to zero crossing" in the drum machine's sample editor
7. Groove extraction and groove quantize
8. More than one color scheme for GUI
9. Multiple output support for vst's, and
10. A crossfader

Until then, I see no reason at all to switch, or even try Bitwig.
Last edited by kb420 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

stringtapper
Posts: 6272
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Angstrom wrote:I was of course joking about my time frame calculations.

perhaps I should have ended it with the words "Half Life 3 confirmed" to drive my idiotic point home.
8O

Angstrom knows what Half-Life is.

HALF-LIFE 3 CONFIRMED.
Unsound Designer

su
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:09 am

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by su » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Bitwig has everything where a Pro wants them

That explains why I get on with Live so well. Rank amateur here. My lack of Pro skills makes me unworthy of the sheer design profundity that is the Bitwig user interface.

There's so much I can learn from you xzusa8ky. Please share more of your wisdom.

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:50 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Lives interface just cant beat Bitwigs, sorry.....!
That's your opinion. To me the difference is this bad:

Live's interface:

Image

Bitwig's interface:

Image
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

ezelkow1
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:03 pm

kb420 wrote:
xzusa8ky wrote:Come on! Take you Sunglasses of and enjoy life, Bitwig looking like a toy?? Hmmmm.......Maybe you should do yourself a favor and try it out before you eat your cheese....... :mrgreen:
As I said in one of the other Bitwig threads, when Bitwig gets the following basic Ableton Live features, I might consider trying it:

1. Track Folders
2. Input Quantize
3. Hot swapping for drum rack pads
4. More flexible midi routing
5. Better vertical track zooming
6. "Snap to zero crossing" in the drum machine's sample editor
7. Groove extraction and groove quantize
8. More than one color scheme for GUI
9. Mutiple output support for vst's, and
10. A crossfader

Until then, I see no reason at all to switch, or even try Bitwig.
You can also add saving of midi files. Surprised there is no way to do this within bitwig, you can only save in their proprietary format. Personally I like saving off midi sections if I come up with something I like and go throw it in my midi dir where I can keep it to use elsewhere.

Plus theres also vst organization of which there is none. BW depends on your installation folder file structure where as ableton lets you neatly organize vst's by using shortcuts, or S1V2 lets your organize by the built-in metadata in the vsts. Without this many people have a huge mess of vst's to sort through to find one. Just shuffling around the dll's is not really a fix as that can break alot of the plugins and their copy protection if you just willy nilly start moving around the vst

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by re:dream » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Look, give them time.

I think Bitwig may be the victims of their own hype.

I think Live badly needs a challenger in the Daw-for-performance market. Reaper ain't it. I probably will never switch to BW, but I sure as hell hope they do well. We need competition.

But I think the pro BW fanboyism is only harming them. Witness Funken's disastrous intervention in kb 420's 'why you should leave Live' thread on KVR. With friends like that, you don't need enemies. As for stfu8usa or whatever he is called, he's not even up to Funken's level.

I am hoping BW survives its teething troubles & becomes a mature competitor in the DAW market.
Last edited by re:dream on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 pm

The Finn wrote:But I think the pro BW fanboyism is only harming them. Witness Funken's disastrous 'why you should leave Live' thread on KVR. With friends like that, you don't need enemies.
Point of Order:

That was my thread on KVR. Funken was the one that ruined it. I'm actually the one who started that thread, and I did so with the best of intentions.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

eyeknow
Posts: 5822
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:16 am

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 pm

It's been a week and I figured it would be about a week before we really knew the deal.

The deal? It's a nice program with a ways to go for many and it's too expensive for the current version for some, BUT some people really like.

If you truly make more music with it or if it tickles your geek button, groovy. I'm all for people being happy with their daw's.

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by re:dream » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:50 pm

kb420 wrote:
The Finn wrote:But I think the pro BW fanboyism is only harming them. Witness Funken's courageous defence of the Fourth Workers International on Stormfront.org. With friends like that, you don't need enemies.
Point of Order:

That was my thread on KVR. Funken was the one that ruined it. I'm actually the one who started that thread, and I did so with the best of intentions.
Fixed. History rewritten. In puce. 8)
Last edited by re:dream on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

re:dream
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:42 am
Location: Hoerikwaggo's sunset side...
Contact:

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by re:dream » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:57 pm

eyeknow wrote:If you truly make more music with it or if it tickles your geek button, groovy. I'm all for people being happy with their daw's.

As William Blake said,

“If the DAWS of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern."
:P

Post Reply