Bitwig is the Killa!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!?

Post by eyeknow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:32 pm

(shrug)

No host is ever going to have everything. It's important that you use what you enjoy.

2klo

Post by 2klo » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:45 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:I have been working with Bitwig since the release one and i am blown away! Not one crash since i installed it!
Welcome to the Future.....Guys! And Girls! :lol:
Propaganda at its best. Bitwig crashed on me 15 minutes after I installed it.
Days of writing Java scripts so that Bitwig could barely recognize my SL MkII instead of writing music is hardly the future.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:15 pm

I dunno man 100 years from now javascript could be more of a common language than a national one.
Everyone will be so used to seeing code everywhere that it becomes the first language.
Maybe???
ImageImage

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:40 pm

shadx312 wrote:I dunno man 100 years from now javascript could be more of a common language than a national one.
Everyone will be so used to seeing code everywhere that it becomes the first language.
Maybe???
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Angstrom wrote: Because trying to critique a Version 1 versus version 9 its like comparing a 3 year old to a 14 year old. If they compete at all in the same race its a miracle. And If the 3 year old has anything at all on the 14 year old, it's a little sad.
I wouldn't go as far to say that.

The newer developers have the advantage of actually entering the DAW market at a later time so they had the time to watch/try other DAWS.

Add to the fact that some of the developers used to work at some of the older DAW companies and are aware of the flaws and such.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:27 pm

Nah. The idea that because it's 2014 any new product must contain every item in every competitor and work flawlessly immediately is odd. How do you think Ableton Live 3 compared to Cubase SX2 for midi, VST, PDC?
Live had nearly none of the "modern" features of a "modern" DAW, yet it survives today! How is this?

Well, it's not a zero sum game. A new product does not need to fully encapsulate all competitor features in order to compete in the market. A new product only needs to place a toehold, enough to continue and build.

The myth of the super competitive, zero sum NOW is just a strange fantasy.

In 2003 - the average DAW looked like Cubase SX2 with PDC, VST, automation, busses, etc. , meanwhile Ableton Live didn't even have MIDI yet. And survived just fine.

2014 isn't a magic year. It's the same as 1914 when it comes to launching products. Advertising, endorsements, investment, distribution networks, franchises.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Angstrom wrote:Nah. The idea that because it's 2014 any new product must contain every item in every competitor and work flawlessly immediately is odd. How do you think Ableton Live 3 compared to Cubase SX2 for midi, VST, PDC?
Live had nearly none of the "modern" features of a "modern" DAW, yet it survives today! How is this?
But Live really didn't start its life as DAW did it? Weren't the earliest versions of Live described as an "instrument"?

So essentially it was shoehorned into competing in the DAW market simply because it "looked like" a DAW. A clear case of software profiling.
Unsound Designer

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:44 pm

2klo wrote:
xzusa8ky wrote:I have been working with Bitwig since the release one and i am blown away! Not one crash since i installed it!
Days of writing Java scripts so that Bitwig could barely recognize my SL MkII instead of writing music is hardly the future.
Not gonna spread propaganda here, but BW hasent crash one time here, but maybe thats just beginner luck? Who knows? :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

RDiiO

Post by RDiiO » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:13 am

It’s not as great as the hype has been leading up to its release. There pitch of it being a revolutionary music production suite is far from the reality of what it provides, it’s going to take more than a few really cool features to be given the tag “revolutionary” especially for Bitwig Studio because of it’s heavy influence from Ableton Live. Ableton revolutionized the DAW world with Live and has done the same with it’s latest introduction Push, so if your going to copy your competition with plans to surpass them make sure you do everything from A to Z and do it ten times better. In this case there is no way Bitwig Studio can even think about surpassing Ableton at this point. Plain and simple we’ve seen this before…

johnny666

Post by johnny666 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:06 pm

i dont 100% agree that bigwig is that much better right now.
it is already 7 or 8 updates in a week period...
it looks nice,but the workflow is not as easy as ableton so far,whit out talk about the cpu usage.fuckin insane.....
working whit midi clips it takes time to adjust.
warping and quantise ..
then is this thing whit the mouse,must change arrow from pencil to eraser and so on..
then is the display views,it as a lot of types..
folders, instruments,plugins are a bit shabby...
but i like it,and i hope it just get better..
ABLETON it as the best learning curve of all DAWS out there....

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:40 pm

johnny666 wrote: then is this thing whit the mouse,must change arrow from pencil to eraser and so on..
I think that is one area Ableton don't get enough credit for.

I've worked with a lot of piano rolls some more powerful and some not as powerful as Ableton's but for ease of use and efficiency for common tasks Ableton does a good job with its piano roll.

Ableton's piano roll is actually my favorite piano roll out of any DAW. Logic's is a little too long winded for me (while more powerful than Ableton's). Reason's piano roll is horrible in almost any area. Many people love FL Studio's piano roll but it seemed overly complex to me but I'll admit I didn't take a lot of time to learn it.

I also thinks that Ableton's decision not to have a whole palette of tools helps keeps things fast. As they make the piano roll more powerful, I think they will struggle with keeping it lean and efficient, but if they keep the balance I think all will be well.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 am

xzusa8ky wrote:
2klo wrote:
Not gonna spread propaganda here, but BW hasent crash one time here, but maybe thats just beginner luck? Who knows? :lol:
Just luck...

Bitwig has itself crashed a few times for me... It has also crashed my computer hard enough that I had to do a forced restart... 4 times that happened. I've had dozens of plugin crashes...

Bitwig is new and teething pains are expected... just saying it isn't super solid for everyone

rich garside

Post by rich garside » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Now im not gonna beat around the bush for what i do which is make techno, deep house and tech house, bitwig fucking owns everything else. End of story. Considering they are going to bring out group trakcs in 1.2 that allow u to have groups within groups and i believe also automation clips on groups of tracks. It really is killa.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 pm

rich garside wrote:they are going to bring out
i will not listen to developers and their promises anymore. They either have the product or they don't. Sick of this age of paid beta testing.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection