Bitwig is the Killa!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TomViolenz

Re: Bitwig is the Killa!

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

-
Last edited by TomViolenz on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm

TomViolenz wrote: I like Live :-)
Me too. I especially like the fact that Live has it's own forum not some cheap substitute on KVR. :lol:

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:23 pm

this argument war is useless, futile whatever.
I'm witnessing such weird behaviors out there on kvr and here on albeton forum.

I'm not judging as I try my best not getting too much into this non sense battle.

I tried bw demo, I took the time further to get into it and see what it has to offer.
Some interesting things for sure; assuming it is a v1 it is too soon to dive into it blindly.
Overall if you have a daw that suits your needs. it is here and it is good

Ableton live 9 is updated regularly and users' requests are taken in count for the most important points.

Don't flame me, this is just my humble personal opinion.

Speaking about http://www.Maxforlive.com

Have you ever thought about the fact that the style was used on purpose.
With some kind of oldschool touch.

I would compare this to old school retro gaming.
There are plenty of cool retro games presently produced and developed... the retro style is beloved.

Maxforlive website has the right style.
If you take the time to dig into its guts you will find pearls for creation.
New ideas, some randomish devices that you can record to audio at wish /
and some rock solid ones that you can automate with the smell of music making lovers.

I'm not a geek with MAX, so I'm not the man who will deeply modify a device or even creating one from my own.
I'm only adding some automation where there's not with convolution reverb for instance.
But I'm very happy with maxforlive and thankful to its community.
Free devices on maxforlive are good, it is just a matter of finding the good ones.
there's a useful transient shaper for free out there, it is the exact same thing as the bitwig one.

I hear and listen to the argument saying: "yes, but you have to own maxforlive".

I hear and listen but I don't see a valid point to argument around this, it has been done plenty of times for ages.

Happy here with ableton live 9 suite and maxforlive.
Happy as well to see bitwig is finaly out.
we will see where both daws will aim their objectives.

Only for goodness I tell you.

Peace for you all, make you choice and let others make their own.

why the hell human has always the mood to get into war?

peace in your mind, peace with your daw, make music and have love doing it, that's the real thing.

cheers everyone :D

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm

TomViolenz wrote: I like Live :-)

(And I think it was well worth the money!)
Not good enough Tom. You must justify why Live is better than Bitwig, with special attention to what Pro features you use that Bitwig doesn't have. Otherwise you'll look like a rank armature. :P

Anyway, I've tried asking these questions in other threads with no luck, so I'll give it another go here. With Bitwig, does anyone know if:

1. You can actually mix between two open projects?
2. You can load / close / save projects with audio running on the other. Smoothly.
3. Bitwig handles syncing with hardware any better than Live

If the answer is yes to all of the above, then Bitwig could interest me as a performance instrument.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm

have a look at this "pityfully" awesome device on maxforlive

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=2124

Phase Distortion Synth 1.1

I don't understand why some people are so negative while others are doing good positive devices

Sorry for this extra note :lol:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:50 pm

TomViolenz wrote: 8O
Funken ruined a thread?! 8O
Say it aint so.... :lol:
He antagonizes people, and he's as adversarial as he can possibly be. Then, if things don't go his way, he plays the victim.

It's annoying as all hell.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:23 pm

kb420 wrote:
TomViolenz wrote: 8O
Funken ruined a thread?! 8O
Say it aint so.... :lol:
He antagonizes people, and he's as adversarial as he can possibly be. Then, if things don't go his way, he plays the victim.

It's annoying as all hell.
He's alright, it's just that his mind doesn't allow him to see other points of view. It's kind of hard even when you agree with 90% of what he's saying. Not that surprising that when he found a DAW he likes more than Live, he won't have a word said against it.

So, about my question...^

Anyone?

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:22 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I know it's probably a very unusual opinion here on the Live forums, but ....

I like Live :-)

Me too! :lol:
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 pm

TomViolenz wrote:I know it's probably a very unusual opinion here on the Live forums, but ....

I do to, and I don't see a reason to switch to or even add Bitwig Studio to my setup.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:30 pm

andydes wrote:
1. You can actually mix between two open projects?
2. You can load / close / save projects with audio running on the other. Smoothly.
3. Bitwig handles syncing with hardware any better than Live

If the answer is yes to all of the above, then Bitwig could interest me as a performance instrument.
I only tried the demo but, AFAIK

1: no. They have an engine on/off button for each tab/ set. Only one can be active at a time I think
2: demo, so I cant save or load anything, but closing the silent tab is fine. No glitch.
3: no idea

Personally I don't think it's competing in the live performance sphere. As far as I can tell it's competing more in the sound creation, modulation, tweaker zone.

I tried the demo again today, within a minute I'd routed 8 things to 8 other things and made a polysynth pad where everything was modulating off everything else. It was a pretty uniquely easy experience considering I had no clue what I was doing. It was fun.

So, don't pin ypur hopes on it for performance, but ifyou like making sounds I think this will be a good platform in the near future.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:11 am

Wow...the internet and capitalist marketing ideals have us all by the balls...what's new, what's next, what can i have to satisfy my ceaseless craving and desire...? I mean it! I have money pocket, but I just can't get no love :(

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 am

kb420 wrote:

I do to, and I don't see a reason to switch to or even add Bitwig Studio to my setup.

I think live is far superior and if apple dumped logic tomorrow i know it well enough that it is probably what I would use.

I just find it a bit weird that they are stubborn to add snap to grid for automation dots and at least fix pdc automation and tempo sync fx timing in the meantime.. it's obvious they can do it as bitshit did it in a quick overnight point release. (prior to this fix bitshit pdc worked precisely like live). Of course they want to do it properly eventually and have the playhead in sync at all times and also for the effect with latency on one track not to affect another totally unrelated track but it's THIS which needs a rewrite and is the big job.. in the meantime they could at least do the band aid fix and make it work like bitwig's which is better than nothing for now! I really really hope ableton do this soon as their software is so superior to BS it's not even funny.

However, some people are switching, even though many of us are not impressed with bitshit, but yeah, quite some people are publicly vocal about already having done the switch. So i do hope ableton take this seriously and consider bitshit the threat that it is (really only because of the clip and arrange view merge and the better pdc), and make live better accordingly.
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

deva

Post by deva » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:25 am

TTOZ wrote:it's obvious they can do it as bitwig did it in a quick overnight point release. (prior to this fix bitwig pdc worked precisely like live).
That is not correct. Bitwig fixed a bug in what was an otherwise implemented feature.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 am

Angstrom wrote: within a minute I'd routed 8 things to 8 other things and made a polysynth pad where everything was modulating off everything else. It was a pretty uniquely easy experience considering I had no clue what I was doing. It was fun.

So, don't pin ypur hopes on it for performance, but ifyou like making sounds I think this will be a good platform in the near future.
totaly agree