-

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Re: Sell me on the Kaoss Pad

Post by 102455 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 pm

The Kaoss Pad can be used either direct (in line with your main audio path) or in send/return mode - it has a switch on the back.

It may be easier for you to control what signal goes where by routing the KP from/to Live that way. Then you can control what gets sent to the KP and what comes back.

The KP can either run on its own tempo clock (set by tapping or knob) or it can determine the tempo live from the incoming audio, or set to ext. clock and run from a DAW etc.

The four samples/loops always run continuously at the set tempo by default, even when they're not "on". Once they're recorded, you turn them on or off by pressing one of the four pads, but they are always cycling in the background. The behaviour can be changed (as can many settings) but it's not instinctive. There are a lot of button combis to remember.

When you sample a loop, it will start to play as soon as the recording reaches the end point - so if you have a signal coming in, the loop will play on top of that unless you kill the input signal at the right point. That's why it's probably better for you to use it via send/return as you have more control. You can cue/prelisten without the KP going out live.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:02 pm

I never really bothered trying to sync it up all perfect for looping and whatnot. I just fiddle around with it for effects.

SnoopWess

Post by SnoopWess » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:27 pm

I had a KP3 for a while, but ended up trading it fora better piece of hardware. It's definately fun, but I found it more of distraction during live sets. You can either route the master audio directly through the pad, or you can route send signals through it. Personally, I preferred to use send-signals so the effect didn't take over the track. You wouuld do this by setting up an external audio effect on a send track, routing an output from your audio interface to the input of the kp3, then routing an output from the kp3 to an input of you interface. Let me know if you need more detailed help.

SnoopWess

Post by SnoopWess » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:56 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
SnoopWess wrote:I had a KP3 for a while, but ended up trading it fora better piece of hardware. It's definately fun, but I found it more of distraction during live sets. You can either route the master audio directly through the pad, or you can route send signals through it. Personally, I preferred to use send-signals so the effect didn't take over the track. You wouuld do this by setting up an external audio effect on a send track, routing an output from your audio interface to the input of the kp3, then routing an output from the kp3 to an input of you interface. Let me know if you need more detailed help.
Seems logical so far, but from your post it reads like this should also be a send in Live, is that correct?
I mean I could certainly free one of them up, but if a regular track could also do it, I would prefer that.

BTW, may I ask what that better hardware you bought is?
Yes, this will rout through a send in live. You can make as many sends as you want (A,B,C,D,etc...), all you have to do, if you want the effect on the a track (any track), just turn the send knob up on the desired track in live. You can map this know to a button on your midi controller. Press that button, and the kp3 will effect the track you selected. Does this make sense?

I traded up for a drum pad. I would rather have a piece of hardware that helped my production than my performence.

SnoopWess

Post by SnoopWess » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:36 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
Seems logical so far, but from your post it reads like this should also be a send in Live, is that correct?
I mean I could certainly free one of them up, but if a regular track could also do it, I would prefer that.

BTW, may I ask what that better hardware you bought is?
Yes, this will rout through a send in live. You can make as many sends as you want (A,B,C,D,etc...), all you have to do, if you want the effect on the a track (any track), just turn the send knob up on the desired track in live. You can map this know to a button on your midi controller. Press that button, and the kp3 will effect the track you selected. Does this make sense?

I traded up for a drum pad. I would rather have a piece of hardware that helped my production than my performence.[/quote]

I'm good on the drum pad front :-)
(I would like this in addition to my pad controller(s))

BTW I was asking if it's feasable to do the routing from Live to kb3 not using Lives sends. (but just audio tracks)

The reason is that Live only has 12 set sends, and I already have a use for all of them.[/quote]

Oh for sure. Yep, you can run the main output from you interface to the input of the kp3. Then you can run the output from the kp3 to the speaker. The kp3 will be affecting your master signal (i.e. Whenever you touch the track pad, whatever is coming out of the speaker will be affected) so be careful. Also, you would need to switch the kp3 from "send" to "direct" (located on the back of the kp3). Beyond those two methods, thats about it. Hope it works out for you.