The Drum Rack 128 Setup - any drawbacks?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
infernal.machine

Re: The Drum Rack 128 Setup - any drawbacks?

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:40 pm

I tried 128s, definitely not for me.

I have a few drum racks (each with different style sounds) set up all in the same way. From bottom to top I have 16 kick/snare combos, 16 tom/glitch sounds, 16 hi hats, 16 crashes/effect sweeps. I use a Launchpad, so when I have it set up in this way it makes two-handed finger drumming extremely comfortable and intuitive. I built these racks slowly, so all the sounds are sounds that I will use. If I find I am not using a particular sound, I will replace it and resave the rack.

I can still try out sound combinations in context by just dragging notes around in the piano roll. Effects are laid out simply, I can see all the sound at once and layer them all I want, and I can access all the sounds from my launchpad to play them live.

Whether you use 128s or not is a personal preference. By all means try it out and see if you like it. The most important piece of advice I can give is to take your time and add sounds SLOWLY. There's no need to fill up all 128 spots if you're just going to replace them later anyways. Build a kit you like, make it sound good, rinse and repeat.

Also, consider using audio for drums. Playing with warp modes/ grain delays has been super fun for me lately ;)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:15 pm

TomViolenz wrote:Do you use this set up with a controller?
I do and it seems to me like I would lose a lot of hands on control if I would do what you do.
I used too.
I had an APC40 set up in a custom way where I could select things very fast and in a cohesive way.

This would be a tom nesting example

This would be the collapsed for performing/creating version.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Your right on track, but there's more to it than just accessing sends, it's processing groups of samplers with the same fx chain and still be able to simply send that to the returns.
I dont have Push, but I used to try getting the APC40 to do similar things.

Illiac

Post by Illiac » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 am

the sample doesn't appear in Sampler when you scroll through with the selector mapped to a macro. Instead, you have to hunt through your layer list to find what sample is playing. I feel like someone mentioned a workaround to this, but I can't find it.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:58 am

I mean the idea of just using 128 as one instance and build up the drum rack out of it. So i dont have to load the whole 128 drum rack. i just need to add the kick128 when its needed.

btw: how does the pxt installation route work. Is it complicated?

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:39 am

TomViolenz wrote: It's just another user remote script, so you could just drop the folder into the right directory of Live.
But if I remember correctly, he even provided a little installer that did this for you. (Only works if your Java is up to date though)
You access the script then by pressing the User button on Push quickly.
Oh, pretty easy. I thought i have to install some software for that (clyphx).

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 am

Is it easy enough to add/remove samples as and when needed?

I may only start with 20 kicks and want to add some more later on. Or I may want to remove 5 kicks that I realise have no use to me.