Scenes playing automatically one after another

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Steve Glen

Re: Scenes playing automatically one after another

Post by Steve Glen » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:17 am

Routing midi out through the IAC driver might be useful for some conditions, but this is a case where that application will be more complex (unnecessarily), which means more opportunity for problems. Routing through IAC driver makes it extremely difficult to share this set, because it assumes that the other user can and will set up the same routing.

Keep as much as you can in Live.

For this situation. Use clip launching follow actions.

For a better use of inter-application MIDI use: Tempo changes. See Jon Marguiles Tips

http://hobo-tech.com/technologies/livet ... cro-clips/

That page and the next 7 tips/pages.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 am

Joeyfivecents,

Steve Glen explains it very well.

He also explains how to control tempo. I never understood why Live never incorporated a feature to control gradual tempo changes in session view. When they brought Session view automation, I thought that was it, but no. I guess that for those who like rubato, accelerando and rallentendo, have to use dummy clip automation to control tempo changes,,,

Maybe in live 10?
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:00 am

Maybe. But survey SAYS! It's likely that 10 isn't coming anytime soon.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 am

True, and also I think I'm the only one requesting a gradual tempo change feature... Been asking this feature since Live 7

Imagine you drop a midi file and it would read the tempo map in session view?

Bump
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

djdont

Post by djdont » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:10 pm

eyeknow wrote:I'm afraid to click on "djdonts" link since it's likely spam :lol: (total neckro bump)
The link is to another post in the Ableton forum. For those who are scared, here is what it says.

In my case I wanted to play only clips in that scene. I found using follow action "next" could potentially advance to the next available clip, (which could be in a different scene)

I came up with a solution to completely automate the creation of an arrangement based on follow actions. The trick was to use a clip of silence in the places where I wanted tracks to drop out i.e a breakdown or change ups in the arrangement.

I realize there could be other solutions out there but this gave me the desired effect.

1. First create a clip of silence and place it in the tracks where you want your change ups or on tracks that you don't have any thing recorded (example track 5 and all red clips in screen shots below) (this is key) otherwise the clip will advance to the next available clip and that could be in any scene.

2. Select all the clips

3. Set the time control for when the follow actions would be taken to ( In my case ) 16, so every 16 bars all clips advance to the next scene.

3. Set follow action to next for both A & B Groups. Not sure selecting both A & B matters if there not used , but its what I did so I included it here

4. Set follow action chance for both A & B to 1 Not sure selecting both A & B matters if there not used , but its what I did so I included it here

5. Play the first scene and record the arrangement automatically

Caption: Place silent clips and select all > then set follow actions

Caption: Automated arrangement recorded

Hope this helps. I was pretty stoked when I realized what the result was.

Note Im using Ableton 8

Regards,
Don T
Last edited by djdont on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Glen

Post by Steve Glen » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:37 pm

Fuckin eh!

Steffen Zimmer

Post by Steffen Zimmer » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:41 pm

hello everybody,

unfortunatelly, the images are not there anymore. I dont understand what should be done...
djdont wrote:
Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:10 pm
eyeknow wrote:I'm afraid to click on "djdonts" link since it's likely spam :lol: (total neckro bump)
The link is to another post in the Ableton forum. For those who are scared, here is what it says.

In my case I wanted to play only clips in that scene. I found using follow action "next" could potentially advance to the next available clip, (which could be in a different scene)

I came up with a solution to completely automate the creation of an arrangement based on follow actions. The trick was to use a clip of silence in the places where I wanted tracks to drop out i.e a breakdown or change ups in the arrangement.

I realize there could be other solutions out there but this gave me the desired effect.

1. First create a clip of silence and place it in the tracks where you want your change ups or on tracks that you don't have any thing recorded (example track 5 and all red clips in screen shots below) (this is key) otherwise the clip will advance to the next available clip and that could be in any scene.

2. Select all the clips

3. Set the time control for when the follow actions would be taken to ( In my case ) 16, so every 16 bars all clips advance to the next scene.

3. Set follow action to next for both A & B Groups. Not sure selecting both A & B matters if there not used , but its what I did so I included it here

4. Set follow action chance for both A & B to 1 Not sure selecting both A & B matters if there not used , but its what I did so I included it here

5. Play the first scene and record the arrangement automatically

Caption: Place silent clips and select all > then set follow actions

Caption: Automated arrangement recorded

Hope this helps. I was pretty stoked when I realized what the result was.

Note Im using Ableton 8

Regards,
Don T
Can you count all the politically motivated songs that have been written?
how many have brought real change?