routing ableton to mixer via soundcard

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nikpampa

routing ableton to mixer via soundcard

Post by nikpampa » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:02 pm

hi there,
just wanted to ask a simple question since i didnt find the answer in previous discussions..
Basically all i want to do is djing with ableton and use ableton effects (via usb controller) but having the eq control directly on the mixer. Let's say I would use 4 channels, each of which would be assigned, through the soundcard, to a mixer channel, each via a stereo output. My question is: would i be able to use ableton sends (in "pre" modality)? or.. is there a way to do it doing some extra routing?
thanks a lot

Re: routing ableton to mixer via soundcard

Post by 102455 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Which USB controller? Which soundcard? Which mixer?

nikpampa

Post by nikpampa » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:06 pm

I dont think that really matters which kind of controller/mixer/soundcard I will use.. Anyway, the controller is a BCR2000, soundcard M-AUDIO profire 610 and the imxer will depend on the club, for sure a 4 channel mixer..

Post by 102455 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm

nikpampa wrote:I dont think that really matters
Actually it does, because you're asking if you can use sends from Live to....somewhere. If they're going to external hardware, those sends will need audio channels on your soundcard.

If you're already running four stereo channels out of Live to a DJ mixer, then you'd be using up all of the outputs on the Profire 610.

If your mixer and/or controller also has a soundcard then you could potentially use those channels too. That's why I asked what you were using.

If you're only send/returning "in the box" with Live then you won't need any extra soundcard channels.

nikpampa

Post by nikpampa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:50 am

Ok, thank you very much for the answer 102455...
Still you'll have to forgive me, but i didn't get it all:) You're saying that with a soundcard with more than 4 stereo channels I could do it by assigning even sends to another channel? And, at this point, I should use at least a 6 channel mixer, using 2 of them as sends?
And...I guess I am mixing "in the box" since I control Sends/Returns from the controller, but still, if they're in "pre" modality I dont think I'll be able to use at the full of their potential.. Just an example: if I want to hear a wet channel B from the master output while I am playing a song in channel A (crossfader 100% on channel A), I just move the S/R in channel B and I will hear from the master output..will I be able to do this? and, if you have any suggestion you're welcome..
thanks again