What to choose instead of a macbook pro?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
filter_7

What to choose instead of a macbook pro?

Post by filter_7 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 pm

I would like to buy a notebook for live performance so it should be rock solid.
I saw everybody using macbook pro with Live and I really need to find a less expensive but reliable alternative.

Do you think this pc exists?
If you already have it let me know what's your choice, thanks.

jestermgee

Re: What to choose instead of a macbook pro?

Post by jestermgee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:18 am

It is going to matter just as much how you use the system and how you manage your PC, software, updates, maintenance etc as the machine itself. A decent brand windows laptop should have no issues performing as a desktop unit which for some users (such as myself)( I rarely see an issue.

the MAC platform is considered by many to be a more suitable and reliable platform for running these things (possibly helped by the fact there is not as much garbage software that people install) but I have even seen people using these platforms have issues.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:44 am

I went with the macbook… :oops:

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:03 am

infernal.machine wrote:I went with the macbook… :oops:
Not happy with the choice? If I were having ongoing issues on PC and I could put it down to the hardware/software platform I would consider a MAC. I'm only locked onto the option that does what it needs to and works while doing it.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:17 am

TomViolenz wrote: You can't exchange the RAM and the hardrive yourself anymore on newer machines and the RAM and SSD prices that Apple asks are outrages ...
And when the battery dies as they always do after a few years, I can just exchange that myself.
On the newer models, not!
Your suggestion is very interesting, and I didn't know about the impossibility to change RAM and battery, that is a real problem. The future is with SSD and every brand go crazy with the prices if you want to buy one instead of a hard drive. For me at the moment 1500€ are too much. I would use that laptop for Live only, with nothing more on it.

I'm curious to know if there's someone here playing 'live with Live' with a 600€/700$ pc laptop with no issues!

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:19 am

i used to use i7 2600K 8gb RAM windows desktop live
yes a desktop
it was heavy and cumbersome
but never caused any problems
but it did have a high quality mobo etc...
so a good windows machine should be fine

i got a MBP and love it
for the money the MBP 2012 is good value against equivalent windows machines
mine is i5 2.4GHz 4gb RAM basic model
i do all my music on it
i gave the i7 to my boy

dave

xmonsta

Post by xmonsta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:46 am

Yes, as TimViolenz says perhaps better to go with an older macbook pro model? You could probably benefit more from the extra ram than you would with a better CPU.

For live playing it seems a lot of people go with the Macbook Pro because of stability. One of the key differences between Mac and Windows is that USB doesnt automatically "plug and play" properly in windows. In a live situation, if you lose one of your USB inputs (like a midi keyboard turns off, or a soundcard gets unplugged), with a Mac you can just plug it back in and it will automatically show up in the "midi" section of Live. Whereas on windows you have to actually shut down live and restart it again before the controller will show. Definitely not something you want happening in the middle of a live show ;/
Last edited by xmonsta on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.xmonsta.com Music devices and controllers for Ableton Live

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:57 am

Well, that specific usb-hot-swapping issue has been taken care of by Ableton with Live 9, but there's still other little things that are not as much a PITA with Apple OS than windows.

My personal experience has been using Windows and tweaking it for best audio/video production but it's more of a hassle to maintain than stock Apple OS.
ImageImage

stevemac

Post by stevemac » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm

I'm also really keen to hear peoples thoughts here, specifically about the live situation.

My Live set has 4 channels, each with a chain of 4-5 Ableton FX (20 total)
4 sends (also Ableton plugs)

This shouldn't require a super-awesome laptop to run stable (there will be NOTHING else on the there except MP3 files and Traktor) - no other software.
What specs should I be looking at to confirm top-notch stability for this amount of processing but not go over the top?

I have a top-spec MBP for production but I really don't want to have to take that to all gigs, it's just as matter of time before it gets something split on it.

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:29 pm

My live set usually runs at 6 groups of between 3 and 6 tracks
I record and loop most parts but leave two tracks over
One for operator and one for Reaktor
4 return tracks
Fx on all tracks/groups
Plus on the master
I run the live set @6-7gb in total off a usb3 memory stick
Which saves me buying a big SSD
And stops all the HDD glitching
All on that 2012 MBP
Preparation is the key
My studio fits in a little bag
I can sit working on it in the living room while the family watches shit on TV
Just remember to turn internet off when working/playing live
Love it

Dave

Dave

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:51 am

dave dove wrote: I run the live set @6-7gb in total off a usb3 memory stick
Which saves me buying a big SSD
Preparation is the key
Thee SSD idea is good, I saw 64Gb pens that are better that buying an internal one because you can move them around!
The preparation is the key, you're right; we can't do everything we want live. Have you seen the Minilogue documentary on Ableton? (https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/minilogue-setup/) They use external fxs and Ableton Live as a clip launching/looper mostly. Even Fourtet uses Live just to launch clips.

The real challenge for me is to use Live as an instrument, so regarding the preparation the best thing is not to play more than 2 midi instruments live, then build all the other tracks by clips and pre-recorded loops.
External fxs saves a lot of cpu usage too.

If only i could rent some type of laptop to test what's the best for me!