I dont get people who say live looks old/ugly/out of date

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Emanresu0891

I dont get people who say live looks old/ugly/out of date

Post by Emanresu0891 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:04 pm

I really dont understand these people who say Live looks out of date.
This shit looks futuristic to me you bastards!
Remember when every program tried to look glassy like mac os and windows?
Now everything is going flat. Ableton Live had the flat design back in 2001.
Stop shitting on Lives look. The only thing that needs to change is it needs to look bigger. I.E. everything is too mother truckin tiney and retina support.

I know this isnt the most intelligent post but im not that intelligent so it doesnt matter.
Im just voicing my opinion.

kitekrazy

Re: I dont get people who say live looks old/ugly/out of date

Post by kitekrazy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:48 pm

There were some idiots at Microsoft thought things looked out of date and released Window 8. They're still trying to fix that one.

login

Post by login » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Live is minimalist and functionalist, I love those design schools. IMHO Live is years ahead still.

In tne industry I thnik only fabfilter has as good interfaces as live, less minimalistic but very well designed ti be used with a mouse in a 2d enviroment.

Win8 is a step in the right direction but they are afriad to let go old desktop so it is an hybrid mess.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 pm

would you PLEASE stop calling people names? It will go a long ways to having people wanting to talk to you.

However, I think live looks great. In fact I enjoy it every time I launch it. Sometime, I'll go to get a coffee (or a beer) and come back into the room and just smile at how it looks across my 27" monitor. They seem made for each other.

Emanresu0891

Post by Emanresu0891 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:23 am

login wrote:Live is minimalist and functionalist, I love those design schools. IMHO Live is years ahead still.

In tne industry I thnik only fabfilter has as good interfaces as live, less minimalistic but very well designed ti be used with a mouse in a 2d enviroment.

Win8 is a step in the right direction but they are afriad to let go old desktop so it is an hybrid mess.
I like the colors fabfilter uses in pro q. I would be totally fine if Ableton redesigned live to match the pro-q aesthetic.

zjqQqES2

Post by zjqQqES2 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:31 am

[quote="Emanresu0891"]I really dont understand these people who say Live looks out of date.
The only thing that needs to change is it needs to look bigger. I.E. everything is too mother truckin tiney and retina support.
/quote]

A pointless rant to say the least.
If you want the UI bigger, goto "look feel" and mess with the zoom display.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:42 am

@ eyeknow - For some reason I get the fealing Emanresu0891 is not a newcomer to the forum; and that his use of pejorative names and ranty English is at least partly done to provoke. Can't quite figure out where I have met her/him before

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:07 am

kitekrazy wrote:There were some idiots at Microsoft thought things looked out of date and released Window 8. They're still trying to fix that one.
i dunno about that. ironically and probably for the first time ever... Apple is designing their products to look more like Microsoft's. i'm not saying it's intentional... but with Apple ousting skeuomorphism and their gloss fading out what we have now more closely resembles Windows 8 and Microsoft's new style.

as far as Live is concerned, it is unique and practical. i used Acid, Fruity Loops, and Cubase before popping in a copy of Live 4 that came with a controller. i was instantly pulled in by the gooeyness of the GUI. i still really like it. i also liked it when the forum was essentially a black and white version of that same functional simplicity. then they hardened the edges and painted it hotdog color.

there are skins that can be applied within Live or downloaded and added to Live to change its color schemes. so the Fab-filter color scheme could possibly happen... if all you're after is the color. and yeah, the zoom can be adjusted in Live's preferences.

i think where the real out of date look perspective could be unquestionably applied is with Retina displays. Retina displays and whatever the non-Apple version to follow make Live look like shit and that's something Ableton need to be concerned with. it is essentially the ergonomics of their DAW that is being affected... I don't have a Retina display, but i feel sorry for those that do and are reminded about the fact that some applications are not coded for that yet... every time they open that part of their creative musical space... which is Live. there are simple workarounds for many of the things that people moan about and/or demand because DAW A, B, or C has it... but for a company to have the kind of software that Ableton have and then show up looking like 32 bit video game is like showing up to a wedding in one of those tuxedo t-shirts.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:22 am

The Finn wrote:@ eyeknow - For some reason I get the fealing Emanresu0891 is not a newcomer to the forum; and that his use of pejorative names and ranty English is at least partly done to provoke. Can't quite figure out where I have met her/him before
True. More than one of us thought of caprezz (or however you spell it) though. I personally have no problem with the trolls if they had less of the personal language. I swear like a motherfucker :lol: I just don't want to CALL someone that if I can avoid it :)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:25 am

And just for the record, in case anyone actually cares :lol: I think live is sexy compared to bitwig....which trolling or not, I think is the general purpose for the thread.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:29 am

eyeknow wrote:And just for the record, in case anyone actually cares :lol: I think live is sexy compared to bitwig....which trolling or not, I think is the general purpose for the thread.
I like the way Bitwig looks better, but the functionality of Live is far superior.
Honestly none of them are as bad to me as Cubase during it's SX phase, Reaper, Traction, or Sonar.

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:34 am

To me Live is the best looking DAW.
It looks classic and timeless!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Emanresu0891 wrote:I really dont understand these people who say Live looks out of date.
This shit looks futuristic to me you bastards!
Remember when every program tried to look glassy like mac os and windows?
Now everything is going flat. Ableton Live had the flat design back in 2001.
Stop shitting on Lives look. The only thing that needs to change is it needs to look bigger. I.E. everything is too mother truckin tiney and retina support.

I know this isnt the most intelligent post but im not that intelligent so it doesnt matter.
Im just voicing my opinion.

Live's look has never been a problem for me.

I also like the various color schemes you can choose from so you can always have a different feel.

Live has a very minimalistic simple look but I think that is mostly a good thing. I do hope they fix retina support. I want to get a new laptop in a couple of months and whether they have a fix will be the deciding factor on if I get a retina display or something like a Mac Air.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Live looked futuristic when it first came out 13 years ago, hasn't changed since so now it looks dated to me.