Bitwig vs Ableton - PDC Test (Video)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
frejahel

Re: Bitwig vs Ableton - PDC Test (Video)

Post by frejahel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:46 pm

Demoing Bitshit ( :mrgreen: ) for a few days was enough for me. I am not masochistic enough, not only to work for free, but even pay expensively for a job as an alpha tester. Weren't Bitshit bragging about implementing proper PDC for a long time, which wasn't even there at the start, and now is as badly implemented as you describe in a quick version fix? They should get a lot more flak.

Edit: Your reasoning sounds logical, and while waiting for proper PDC with regards to automation and all, in the meantime, it would be useful if Ableton could release a fix like that as well.

drako

Post by drako » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 pm

I am running bitwig in demo mode, i think honestly ableton should hurry to fix this pdc . it's like only for this i would like to switch over, i cant even put some uad plugs on some channels or i can't play in notes without a huge delay. it sux.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:05 pm

I don't think they are ever going to fix it. We'll have to live with it or ditch it. Bitwig might light a fire under their ass but they knew this was coming and people are upset about it.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:10 am

mm i think they are going to fix that now on L10, it's a complex task, but feel not harder that session automation was, and they managed. At first very few complained about this issue, and there was no front session challenger, so they could wait.
now it's thread/request/complain nb 1, and bitwig has and will evolve faster than live.
think a part of live community is going to move to bitwig mainly for pdc and timing accuraccy (among all the rest and half price) a soon as it's mature enough and this could be in only in 1-2 years so they'd better speed up and put it really in nb1 priority for next release seeing time it took to dev L9...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:49 am

Live adds buffer latency to the output each time you insert vst.
Is it known issue?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=406777

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:16 pm

drako wrote:I am running bitwig in demo mode, i think honestly ableton should hurry to fix this pdc . it's like only for this i would like to switch over, i cant even put some uad plugs on some channels or i can't play in notes without a huge delay. it sux.

huh.. why would you switch then? Bitwig has no low latency monitoring mode when using PDC.. it's going to be WORSE for you than ableton in this case
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:32 pm

possibly dumb question... but just curious on opinions.

suppose that the abes came out and said 'hey, just kidding, we fixed it and we put the fix into 9.2'. of course you would upgrade - but also, all your old sets could possibly be out of time, if you had adjusted for the errors - they'd now be wrong the other way.

what would you want them to do in that case? new als format (so old ones don't get compensated, new ones do)? automatically shift all automations by an amount whatever changed? this still wouldn't fix everything on old sets, e.g. volumeshaper has a manual offset, which you'd have to set back to 0. or they could just say 'screw it, we fixed it, fix your own old sets if they change'. ???

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:06 pm

I wouldn't think that way at all, I'd be like "eat this bitwig" (thumbs nose) :lol:

tone61

Post by tone61 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:16 pm

theophilus wrote:possibly dumb question... but just curious on opinions.

suppose that the abes came out and said 'hey, just kidding, we fixed it and we put the fix into 9.2'. of course you would upgrade - but also, all your old sets could possibly be out of time, if you had adjusted for the errors - they'd now be wrong the other way.

what would you want them to do in that case? new als format (so old ones don't get compensated, new ones do)? automatically shift all automations by an amount whatever changed? this still wouldn't fix everything on old sets, e.g. volumeshaper has a manual offset, which you'd have to set back to 0. or they could just say 'screw it, we fixed it, fix your own old sets if they change'. ???
I would hope that Ableton would include a new bit of information about which version of PDC was used in some live set.
The old ones would work the old way, but when you would create a new live set it would use the new, improved PDC.
This way your old projects would work like they always did, but you'd see the improvements in your NEW live sets.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:40 pm

..or there could just be an option in PDC préférences menu:

_Old behaviour ( per track delay comp)
_New behaviour (per device delay comp)

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:06 pm

fx23 wrote:..or there could just be an option in PDC préférences menu:

_Old behaviour ( per track delay comp)
_New behaviour (per device delay comp)

+ absolutely, just include a legacy mode option.
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!