Geist Cheap (in case you didn't know)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Geist Cheap (in case you didn't know)

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:51 pm

UncleAge wrote:
3dot... wrote:so it's shipping only?
I believe so. However, I don't know if there are other 3rd party vendors reducing their price as well. If so, one of them may have the downloadable version for sale.
What it is guys is its a special bundled version that includes an add on (though it's the full version) So Geist itself is not on sale, just the special edition.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:19 pm

yep, the special edition at MF is boxed only.

however the standard version of Geist is regularly on sale for about $99, and AudioDeluxe currently list the download version for about $80.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:22 pm

Really? Well, it is what it is.

Been reading the manual, it does a lot.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:23 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote: I don’t know what the technical reason is but at this point its Logic's fault. You can’t send MIDI from any third party plugin to another track. :x
I agree, Logic, or the old Emagic team, and Apple are responsible for the Audio Unit Standard, and IMO although I mostly use AU over VST, it's fallen behind VST in functionality. Basically until Logic does MIDI out no third party plug in developer is going to bother to implement it in AU.
Just an FYI, I'm for whatever reason having zero luck getting VSTi in Live to sent MIDI to other tracks… blah!

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:47 am

Machinesworking wrote:Just an FYI, I'm for whatever reason having zero luck getting VSTi in Live to sent MIDI to other tracks… blah!
Which one(s)?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 am

UncleAge wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Just an FYI, I'm for whatever reason having zero luck getting VSTi in Live to sent MIDI to other tracks… blah!
Which one(s)?
Geist, figured it out. FYI it's not in the manual.
In fact the manual just says Geist can send MIDI out. What you have to do is open the "Mapping" menu next to the browser, and hit "Send Notes".

Plus I was trying Reaktor instruments that have sequencers, which don't by default send MIDI Out, Spiral does.

FYI Beats Me I was wrong, DP8 sends and receives MIDI VST Out just fine. AU's don't show up as MIDI In ports though, Reaktor and Geist at least. :x

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm a little bummed I'll have to wait until Tuesday to get mine.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
UncleAge wrote:
Which one(s)?
Geist, figured it out. FYI it's not in the manual.
In fact the manual just says Geist can send MIDI out. What you have to do is open the "Mapping" menu next to the browser, and hit "Send Notes".

Plus I was trying Reaktor instruments that have sequencers, which don't by default send MIDI Out, Spiral does.

FYI Beats Me I was wrong, DP8 sends and receives MIDI VST Out just fine. AU's don't show up as MIDI In ports though, Reaktor and Geist at least. :x
:x

As I’ve said in other posts, the main reason I want a step sequencer that can send to any plugin is for unique or obscure percussion sample libraries. You can better experiment with odd sounds within a step sequencer than tapping them out and hoping for the best.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:04 pm

Geist is great. Hsven't been using it much since i got komplete but i realized today that it can be used in a similar way to Ultraloop which is cool, wonder if it was the inspiration.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:33 pm

musikmachine wrote:Geist is great. Hsven't been using it much since i got komplete but i realized today that it can be used in a similar way to Ultraloop which is cool, wonder if it was the inspiration.
:?:

How so? I have both and am not sure what you are talkng about.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:41 pm

beats me wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Geist is great. Hsven't been using it much since i got komplete but i realized today that it can be used in a similar way to Ultraloop which is cool, wonder if it was the inspiration.

Just in terms of layering up loops and remixing them then you could map them to scenes and trigger them in gate mode but limited to 8 loops, i don't know how to switch them on the fly but yeah i'd not thought of using it like that until i'd used UL.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:04 pm

musikmachine wrote:
beats me wrote:

Just in terms of layering up loops and remixing them then you could map them to scenes and trigger them in gate mode but limited to 8 loops, i don't know how to switch them on the fly but yeah i'd not thought of using it like that until i'd used UL.

Oh, gotcha. I haven't really thought of that either but now I see it. :)

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Hmmm, been thinking Geist and UL could be a great way of creating lots of new material. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Pretty sure Geist in it's earlier form as Guru, has been around a lot longer than Ultraloop. Bought Guru in about 2006. They do seem like a good pairing for certain things. :)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:21 pm

Musicians friend is the strangest company when it comes to shipping. Things coming from them are FORCED to take the longest time possible. Nothing ever comes early even if it's close. If I order the "free" shipping with sweetwater, the package comes as fast as possible. They both use the same shipping with UPS.

Anyways, it's in San Leandro, which is about 2 hours from here. So it should end up in my town tonight and be shipped tomorrow BUT it's saying the 15th. :? I dunno. It's not a huge deal but it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME with MF and I really don't have that problem with other places even though I always opt for cheap/free shipping.