All Live packs get updated this week??? (ansered by Abes)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Willyum

All Live packs get updated this week??? (ansered by Abes)

Post by Willyum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Just saw that almost all of my Live pack versions are out of date... I think I checked one of them last week and it was fine, now there's like only 1 or 2 packs that I don't have to update.

Thats like 30 Gigabytes for Suite!!! 55GB uncompressed!!! Thats gonna take a day and a half...

Did I miss a round of updates, cause I didn't get any emails about this. And if this is new, what is different about the packs that caused them to change almost every one of them???
Last edited by Willyum on Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Re: All Live packs get updated this week???

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:29 pm

All old packs got recalled back in February. I’m surprised you didn’t get the email. At best with the old packs your tracks would sound dated, and not in a cool retro way. At worst your tracks would run out of sync and cause the pistons to fire through your fuel block freezing the drive shaft. You would have to replace 80% of your computer.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 am

Thought you was joking but since no one else is saying anything, I guess I am the only one who missed out on these packs... What's different about them?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:23 am

I think he's joking.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:42 am

So they ARE all new??? Does this mean they are for use with the Live in beta right now? I know a lot of midi scripts are broken with the new Live in beta, did they create different default assignments or something? Just trying to figure out why the need to re-install 50 gigabytes of library.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:10 am

Are they tweaking their browser?? Only thing I could think of

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:58 am

I don't know the reason why but yeah, that is a ton of crap.

[efl]

Post by [efl] » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:48 am

hi guys, we recently updated a lot of our packs to now include japanese, german, spanish, italian, and french translations and fixed some minor typos in the lessons. so unless you are in need of lessons in these languages there's no need to re-download everything ;)

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Thank you for the reply and info... Is it possible for you guys to get one of the interns to take a couple minutes to put a 'Version History' on the 'packs' download page to let us know whats going on when there are new versions please.

fritzsalomon

Post by fritzsalomon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm

how can i see if my packs are out of date ?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Willyum wrote:Thank you for the reply and info... Is it possible for you guys to get one of the interns to take a couple minutes to put a 'Version History' on the 'packs' download page to let us know whats going on when there are new versions please.

+1

darkenedsoul

Re: All Live packs get updated this week??? (ansered by Abes)

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:45 pm

And how about the ability to update packs from within Live related to those we own/have access to that are currently installed, this also tied to a version scheme? Would make it a lot easier, actually make it a separate update option instead of bundling it with a application version update (in case we don't want to move to latest at the moment).

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:51 pm

otoh, if you hadn't been checking, you wouldn't even have noticed. since you had, you almost re-downloaded 55 gigs of content to get some japanese language lessons. it's probably a good thing that's not automatic, or even semi-automatic, until pack updates are incremental...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:13 pm

theophilus wrote:otoh, if you hadn't been checking, you wouldn't even have noticed. since you had, you almost re-downloaded 55 gigs of content to get some japanese language lessons. it's probably a good thing that's not automatic, or even semi-automatic, until pack updates are incremental...
On this specific subject: big updates.
I think that when you let Live auto-update itself it uses Delta-updates, [[A delta update is an update that only requires the user to download the code that has changed, not the whole program. It can significantly save time and bandwidth. ]]

I expect that Ableton will improve their pack download and management, because it's non-existent at the moment unless you are a fan of scouring XML for version codes. Despite what they repeatedly said during the L9 beta, they DO need to fix this.
I expect they'll have realised their mistake by now and make a delta-download manager for users to manage their packs. Probably for Live 10.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Well I'm relieved.