Please Make 32-bit Bridge

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hipdeejay

Please Make 32-bit Bridge

Post by hipdeejay » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:52 am

Hate to be that guy but I really think Ableton should reconsider implementing a 32-bit plugin bridge in Live.
Jbridge is such a non-solution and pure laziness on Ableton's part. Not to mention it's so buggy, crashy and doesn't support AU plugins and probably never will.

Hate to mention those guys here but Bitwig handles this so effortlessly. Unfortunately Bitwig's workflow is so tedious for me and it just doesn't compare to the speed and familiarity I have with Live to warrant a switch. They also don't support AU so there's that.
Bitwig also only has 1 version (instead of a 32bit version and 64bit version) that works on either system and supports both 32 & 64 bit plugins.

Originally Ableton's excuse for not creating a bridge was so they could focus on more advanced features but it's been over a year now with Live 9 and not much has changed. Really think it'd be worth looking in to but what do I know...

fishmonkey

Re: Please Make 32-bit Bridge

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 am

very few of my plugins don't have a 64 bit version any more, and by the looks of it within a year the only 32 bit ones will be old unsupported plugs, which i will either continue to bridge or will ditch.

computing is all shifting to 64 bit, and i doubt that Ableton are putting any resources into supporting unsupported plugins...

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:31 pm

hipdeejay wrote:Hate to be that guy but I really think Ableton should reconsider implementing a 32-bit plugin bridge in Live.
Jbridge is such a non-solution and pure laziness on Ableton's part. Not to mention it's so buggy, crashy and doesn't support AU plugins and probably never will.

Hate to mention those guys here but Bitwig handles this so effortlessly. Unfortunately Bitwig's workflow is so tedious for me and it just doesn't compare to the speed and familiarity I have with Live to warrant a switch. They also don't support AU so there's that.
Bitwig also only has 1 version (instead of a 32bit version and 64bit version) that works on either system and supports both 32 & 64 bit plugins.

Originally Ableton's excuse for not creating a bridge was so they could focus on more advanced features but it's been over a year now with Live 9 and not much has changed. Really think it'd be worth looking in to but what do I know...

Haven't tried Bitwig yet but I have Reaper and it has a 64 bit version which can handle 32 bit plug-ins as well. Sonar 64 did this when I was on PC as well.

Both programs were pretty buggy (Reaper not as much though). I think Live has enough of a problem trying to get 64 bit plug-ins to work.

There are other bit-bridging programs to try as well so maybe there is hope.

hipdeejay

Post by hipdeejay » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Bitwig handles this pretty well as the plugins are ran as separate processes and Bitwig is the host. So if a plugin crashes it doesn't crash the DAW. This would be the main benefit of this and something Live could really use. Not to mention the benefit of running the plugins this way you can run 64 or 32 bit plugins simultaneously.

The main problem users report with Live is crashing. And 9 times out of 10 it's caused by a plugin. In this area Bitwig is way ahead of Live. And something Ableton can really learn from. It wouldn't require a complete rewrite of the code or anything crazy like that.

But anyway, one can dream...

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri May 02, 2014 8:04 am

I coughed up the measly money for jbridge and I find it to be more stable than Ableton itself. If it crashes, it's usually the plugin's fault. I have found jbridge to be very stable and I test A LOT of vst plugins. I'm on windows so I don't care about AUs. I also experiment with various DAWs inclusing reaper and Sonar which both handle bridjing fine. I think Samplitude does bridjing too. Half of my plugins seem to be missing with Bitwig which seems to be very "beta" in my opinion (they shouldn't be charging more than $60 for that thing at the moment).