A problem myself and MANY other Maschine users are having.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ufgatorgr8

A problem myself and MANY other Maschine users are having.

Post by ufgatorgr8 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:03 am

In the newest version of Maschine (2.0-2.1) the ability to write midi data directly to Ableton was taken away. For many users coming from 1.8 this is a massive workflow killer. I used to be able to load up a kit and route each pad to a separate midi track then play those pads and the midi data would be shown on that track and trigger the pads when played back. In 2.+ the closest we can get to this workflow is drag and dropping midi data from Maschine to Ableton. This is not an intuitive or effective way to work. My question is... Is there anyway that something could be made in Max 4 live that would bring back my old workflow or something comparable?

delicioso

Re: A problem myself and MANY other Maschine users are having.

Post by delicioso » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm

ufgatorgr8 wrote:In the newest version of Maschine (2.0-2.1) the ability to write midi data directly to Ableton was taken away. For many users coming from 1.8 this is a massive workflow killer. I used to be able to load up a kit and route each pad to a separate midi track then play those pads and the midi data would be shown on that track and trigger the pads when played back.
Actually, nothing was taken away. Maschine 2.0 is a complete rewrite. What you used to be able to do was actually more of a shortcoming in 1.8 that some people took advantage of where Maschine's sequencer did not send MIDI out unless you selected a MIDI out module. The current behavior of Maschine 2.x where you get a feedback loop when you try to send MIDI in and out on the same port while in Maschine mode, is the way it's supposed to work. That's fine with me, because I'd rather have the more powerful MIDI offering, which allows Maschine to send MIDI from its sequencer. And I hope they don't change the new MIDI functionality too much, because it's way more powerful now.

ufgatorgr8 wrote:In 2.+ the closest we can get to this workflow is drag and dropping midi data from Maschine to Ableton. This is not an intuitive or effective way to work. My question is... Is there anyway that something could be made in Max 4 live that would bring back my old workflow or something comparable?
Not sure what's not intuitive or effective about the drag and drop functionality, especially now that Maschine 2.x has the MIDI batch feature to set all sounds in a group to the same MIDI channel. Also, don't forget you can still record pad performances from the Maschine controller into a DAW when you put the Maschine controller into MIDI mode.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:32 pm

edit : sorry misunderstood the issue

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:20 pm

confirmed for some reason forwarding MIDI notes to host via the sound midi output section doesn't work here either...(not that i used this feature much)

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 pm

3dot... wrote:confirmed for some reason forwarding MIDI notes to host via the sound midi output section doesn't work here either...(not that i used this feature much)
Sounds like you're talking about something else? Are you using it as AU or VST? AU plugins don't support direct MIDI output to the host and even if you're running as VST, keep in mind that MIDI out from VST plugins will always be merged to channel 1 due to a limitation of Live.

jazzmik

Post by jazzmik » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:48 pm

I don't have M4Live so not sure if this will help you but I posted this 'live set' template on NI Maschine forum a little while back.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... te.216558/

You should be able to use it and at the very least see how it was setup and tweak it for your needs.

Also FYI this is known issue and there's a huge topic that has been talking about it for a while:
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... st-1278350

But... the workaround DOES work and allows to record midi from Maschine into Ableton without the feedback problem.

The main change I made to saintjoe's original workaround was to allow freeing up 15 midi channels for your groups.
He basically was using 8 midi channels for the workaround 'midi-host' group, which wasn't needed.

Anyway hope it helps.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:11 pm

delicioso wrote:
3dot... wrote:confirmed for some reason forwarding MIDI notes to host via the sound midi output section doesn't work here either...(not that i used this feature much)
Sounds like you're talking about something else? Are you using it as AU or VST? AU plugins don't support direct MIDI output to the host and even if you're running as VST, keep in mind that MIDI out from VST plugins will always be merged to channel 1 due to a limitation of Live.
it doesn't output MIDI at all here, I'm using VST...