using TouchDAW to control Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
junqueira

using TouchDAW to control Ableton

Post by junqueira » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:10 pm

I was reading through the manual for setting up TouchDAW on my CPU. It looks like it utilizes wireless internet. Is there a way to run it through Bluetooth? The reason why this would be useful is for these reasons:
1. I don't utilize internet connection on my music computer
2. It would be a hassle to link up a wi-fi connection at venues. It always seems like we're pressed for time to do soundcheck, all-the-more to find a wifi code and add it to the 'rtpMIDI'.

It would be much easier if I could do this before hand so that I'm prepared before performing. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for your time everyone!

moonpie

Re: using TouchDAW to control Ableton

Post by moonpie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Blutooth isnt great for stable connectivity and latency as far as I remember - the single best thing I did with touchdaw is set it up over usb. - The connection is stable, and your device keeps power - you should def look into that. I know wireless has appeal initially - but yeah, then youve to lug around a router!

Usb all the way. It worked the best for me and the setup is faster (after you get over the initial tech hurdle of setting it up with abes). All the instructions are on the site - I used mine with osx which allowed relatively quick midi setup with IAC. Think you need a 3rd party program to do the same with windows.

junqueira

Post by junqueira » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:38 pm

moonpie wrote:Blutooth isnt great for stable connectivity and latency as far as I remember - the single best thing I did with touchdaw is set it up over usb. - The connection is stable, and your device keeps power - you should def look into that. I know wireless has appeal initially - but yeah, then youve to lug around a router!

Usb all the way. It worked the best for me and the setup is faster (after you get over the initial tech hurdle of setting it up with abes). All the instructions are on the site - I used mine with osx which allowed relatively quick midi setup with IAC. Think you need a 3rd party program to do the same with windows.

Thanks for your response man! yea that's what I'm struggling with now is the 'tech hurdle', I'm not a 'techy person' at all! haha

moonpie

Post by moonpie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Yeah, to be honest, I would be a techy person, and it was all new to me! Still took a little while. You'll get there with a little patience, their instructions are good. Then the next hurdle - ALWAYS start things in the same order. Especially with live use. This goes for all of your equipment. Itll pay dividends and add to your setups stability. Routine just cuts down all the issues that can go wrong. So you wont have to be a techy person to fix random issues. So if its - pc on, android on, connect usb, app start, midi router application start, ableton start, project load - just do it that exact way every time! Will save you nightmares.

Best of luck

junqueira

Post by junqueira » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 pm

moonpie wrote: So if its - pc on, android on, connect usb, app start, midi router application start, ableton start, project load - just do it that exact way every time! Will save you nightmares.

Best of luck
Thanks man! I appreciate that advice