Fabfilter ProQ and Saturn vs EQ8 and Lives Sat/Dist

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toph

Fabfilter ProQ and Saturn vs EQ8 and Lives Sat/Dist

Post by toph » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi,

I tested ProQ about two years ago and it was on my buying list until then. Also was very interested in Saturn, but never found the time to test it.

Unfortunately I didn't find much time for music since the release of Suite9 and because of that didn't use the "new" EQ8 enough to estimate, if it would make the buy of ProQ obsolete.

Because of that and the soon ending Fabfilter sale I would highly appriciate your opinions regarding ProQ vs EQ8 and also would love to read if you think Saturn is worth the money (I also own Ohmforces Ohmicide).

Thanks in advance!

Christoph

glamourboy

Re: Fabfilter ProQ and Saturn vs EQ8 and Lives Sat/Dist

Post by glamourboy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01 pm

fab q is considerably better IMO. More options, more intuitive, better analyzer, better interface.

It's a little "behind" when making very fast automations, but unlike eq8 there are no glitches when moving a cutoff too fast.

recommended.

login

Post by login » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Depends on your use.

EQ8 for me is good enough, and I will preffer to get a tool that live is lacking or you dont like, for me Saturn would be the frist plug to get from FF, ableton doesnt have nothing like it, and it is interesting in many ways.

Then maybe volcano2 since I dont like autofilter and all the modulations options are a nice adittion.

Last possibly twin, I have never liked analog, and twin interface and modulation system is very nice, CPU consumption is light so is a good alternative.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:26 am

Timeless is my favorite.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 am

Pro Q is nice, EQ8 is really pretty good though, the only advantage of Pro Q is a Linear EQ mode for Mastering, and IMO that's a subtle difference to begin with.

I have the PSP equivalent of Pro Q, Neon, and I mostly use it in Linear EQ mode on the master Channel. Not a necessity.

On the other hand, Live has nothing that compares to the shear versatility of a dedicated distortion plug in like Guitar Rig, Ohmicide and Saturn. I would get Saturn, I have Guitar Rig and Ohmicide, but I feel the same way about Distortion that I do about compression, you can't really have too many choices.

AxfromMuc

Post by AxfromMuc » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:07 am

I use fabfilter a lot. They are great plugins. If you can, go for a bundle. Check out Pro-L and Pro-MB and timeless2 too!

toph

Post by toph » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Hey, thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. I owned Volcano, Timeless 2 and Twin 2 already... and just got myself another Fabfilter custom bundle (including Pro Q, Saturn and some more). ;)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 pm

toph wrote:Hey, thank you all for your opinions and suggestions. I owned Volcano, Timeless 2 and Twin 2 already... and just got myself another Fabfilter custom bundle (including Pro Q, Saturn and some more). ;)
Nice, my Fabfilter collection is Pro L, C and G. All three of them are top notch.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:05 am

Saturn is amazing. Its a totally different distortion than ohmicide its alot more subtle but can do some over the top stuff ok.
Sure u can make some crazy multiband distortions w racks n splitters but saturn makes it so easy to do the same thing, plus u basically get a 4 band eq per band(split). Thing sounds great as well to add harmonics to signals.

Mike

golemus

Post by golemus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:11 pm

I haven't yet used Live9 EQ that much but I have used very much Live8 EQ and Fabfilter Pro-Q.

Pro-Q is currently my main EQ, if the sound is important then I always use it. If it is not that important then I use EQ8.

Main advantage with Pro-Q is its user interface. It is the best that I know of. It is easy to make very accurate EQ adjustments with the help of ctrl and shift buttons. Another advantage is that if you need to cut more than 12db (as I need to now and then), EQ8 is difficult to use. I also use always the linear phase mode when EQing anything with bass frequencies, liner phase is not available in EQ8. Pro-Q is very transparent, especially in linear phase mode. There is one disadvantage though, the fact that it is a VST plugin. You can easily end up with too many Pro-Q windows on screen, which is a problem that you don't have with EQ8. And yeah another disadvantage, it takes about 8mb of RAM (if I remember correctly), if you have a lots of them Ableton gets slower (as always when plugs consumer RAM).