how many control surface slots would you need?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

3%
No votes
No votes
10%
7%
7%
No votes
17%
3%
10 or more
53%

Total votes: 30

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:44 pm

i know that there are other threads, and yes i wrote a message directly to ableton and i will post it @ feature wishlist too!

but it`s really annoying, specially now since i got push and one ipad.
push:push+pushPXT
ipad: touchable
nucleus: mackie+ mackie XT
clyphX

but now? what to do with my APC? my launchpad? ok, i think i will sell those 2 anyway but machine? lemur? konkreet performer?
and more important: ubermap?

is there anybody who got a response from ableton why they don`t implement it? is it really so hard to code?

beats me

Re: how many control surface slots would you need?

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:30 pm

If you need that many controllers to make good music you’re doing it wrong. :x

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:37 pm

beats me wrote:If you need that many controllers to make good music you’re doing it wrong. :x
i don`t need them. i make as many tracks without any controller as i do with all of them, but i love to play, produce and perform in different ways.
about half of my tracks i make only with laptop and headphones... that`s not the point

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 pm

beats me wrote:If you need that many controllers to make good music you’re doing it wrong. :x
Which is a contradiction - because if you do make good music (no matter how you got there or how many midi controllers you used or how much coke you snorted) you're actually doing it right.

Period.

Besides, who are you to say someone is "doing it wrong"..?

Did you actually write the book on "How To Do It The Right Way"..?!

Because, i always wondered if that book had been written at all and if so, by whom and where that invaluable treasure of wisdom might be hidden and why it was kept from us mortal folks for so long.So glad to learn it indeed was actutally written and to my great surprise by no other than you.

:wink:
Last edited by beatz01 on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 pm

at any one time? definitely not more than the 6 that are currently available, and even I feel like I have too many controllers/scripts, sooo.... yeah!

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 pm

antarktika wrote:at any one time? definitely not more than the 6 that are currently available, and even I feel like I have too many controllers/scripts, sooo.... yeah!
you`re right! not more than 6 at a time. but when i want to use another script or another controller it`s sometimes really timeconsuming to make all the changes needed.

+ if you take clyphX and ubermap which aren`t for any controller there are just 4 left and then there are some scripts which are using 2 slots for one controllter so in many scenarios you`re only able to use 2 controllers

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:07 am

Well let's see, I have my impulse, launchpad (which I bought before push), push and I've had maschine for years. So, 4.

I completely disagree with the idea that if you need that many is somehow a problem. I use different things at different times. However, if I had to live with one it would be the impulse because I also use other hosts :)

dixie237

Post by dixie237 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 am

Up until recently I ran my rig through a Tascam US 2400. This used 3 slots for starters. Chuck in a Launchpad, APC40 and a keyboard and your at the limit.
Why restrict this to six? Offer flexibilty and options if possible. More slots please. :D

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:58 am

11 would be perfect :wink:

Things have moved ahead with all the controller options with iPads touchable, Konkreet Performer etc & 6 control surface slots is an inconvenient bottle neck.

Come on Abes

Move ahead :x

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Let's think:

- Push as universal utility
- Midi keyboard with lots of knobs - the more, the better. Optionally just knob box if Push turns out sufficient as a keyboard.
- Uhm, audio mixer / interface to manage many inputs and outputs?
- CDJs?
- Something wireless for live performance? Tablet or fancy wireless gloves that I saw at Kickstarter last month.

That's all I can think about right now. Still, have only two hands and probably would never use more than 2 controllers at same time. At the moment I have only non-controller keyboard and it doesn't hurt much, just slows me down.

ilya.soloviev

Post by ilya.soloviev » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:19 pm

2...for keyboard and mouse.

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:04 pm

If your using two slots to aim two controllers at the same script, you can merge their midi data streams (I use Copperlan Midi Routing Software) into 1 virtual midi cable, and select that virtual midi cable as the input for the control script, thus opening a control script slot for another purpose.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.