Low input signals while recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
the_muffin_man

Low input signals while recording

Post by the_muffin_man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:48 pm

Hello everyone! I've got a question.

I was doing some recording of small vocal ensembles the other day, using two old Peavey small condenser mics as a stereo pair, a Saffire PRO 40 firewire interface, and a 13" Macbook Pro from early 2011. Even with the gain cranked to 10 on my interface, i was only getting 2 dots of signal at the loudest points. It seemed a little odd. I then had to boost each clip in Live.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this? Do I need an external preamp? Is there some setting I could change?

Any constructive input is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

fishmonkey

Re: Low input signals while recording

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:24 am

which mics are they, and which inputs did you use on the Saffire? do the recordings sound okay when you boost the gain in Live (apart from being a bit noisy)?

maybe you had the input pads on?

tech44

Post by tech44 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:16 am

-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

the_muffin_man

Post by the_muffin_man » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:26 am

fishmonkey wrote:which mics are they, and which inputs did you use on the Saffire? do the recordings sound okay when you boost the gain in Live (apart from being a bit noisy)?

They are Peavey ERC 12s. I used the front two inputs. The clips sound fine.

the_muffin_man

Post by the_muffin_man » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:28 am

the_muffin_man wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:which mics are they, and which inputs did you use on the Saffire? do the recordings sound okay when you boost the gain in Live (apart from being a bit noisy)?

They are Peavey ERC 12s. I used the front two inputs. The clips sound fine.
Also, I realize that I need a mic upgrade, but I still don't feel like it should be this quiet. What would anyone recommend for a stereo pair of mics that are good for vocal ensembles/drum overheads/ that kind of thing? I don't have much money but when I do that will be one of the first things I'll buy.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:50 am

so the interface input pads weren't on? and do those mics have pads? how far away were you micing from?

the_muffin_man

Post by the_muffin_man » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 am

fishmonkey wrote:so the interface input pads weren't on? and do those mics have pads? how far away were you micing from?
Yeah, I'm sure the pads weren't on, and the mics don't have any. The mics were just a few feet above the singers.

I don't know much about these mics. They may not be the right ones for this application, but I didn't have another choice.

SLEEarts

Post by SLEEarts » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Are the mics battery or phantom powered? A dead battery might be doing this. If they are phantom powered, are you sure the phantom power voltage matches the mic requirement?

the_muffin_man

Post by the_muffin_man » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:30 am

SLEEarts wrote:Are the mics battery or phantom powered? A dead battery might be doing this. If they are phantom powered, are you sure the phantom power voltage matches the mic requirement?
They are phantom powered. I'm not sure what the requirement for those mics is, but I'm pretty sure my interface puts out 48v.