Preserving Ableton with racks in case of fatal laptop crash

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balonny

Preserving Ableton with racks in case of fatal laptop crash

Post by balonny » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:48 am

I've been using this rather old HP for ages now and it's known to crash from time to time. So far I've been lucky and I do keep most production and VSTs on backup HDs.
Still my question is regarding Ableton itself. I've spent a lot of time making racks I love working with and it would be sucha a waste to lose it all in case my laptop crashed beyond repair.
How can I save my Ableton as it is now - with all racks and additional stuff?
:D :roll:
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

jestermgee

Re: Preserving Ableton on case of fatal laptop crash

Post by jestermgee » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:53 am

I use Acronis to make a complete OS backup which will take a snapshot of your whole HDD and it can be restored easily to a new HDD. It is a bit more challenging to take that image to a new PC though.

If you just are interested to backup the Ableton content itself you can just copy the folder where you store user racks (if that is where you save them).

It's a good idea to do this on a regular occasion (or automated better still). Look into some automated backup options. Hell if you want to learn some very simple batch programming you can easily create an automated backup script using a text editor and robocopy which could automatically mirror anything on your HDD to another drive.