how the hell do you simply send midi control data?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

how the hell do you simply send midi control data?

Post by morerecords » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:15 am

I have an external synth. a jomox kick drum module.
I open an instrument rack and an external synth. There are macro knobs there, 8 of them,
I want to assign each knob to a different parameter on the jomox. cc#101,102,103 etc etc

I am trying 10 different ways to sequence the jomox using different control movements, but I must be overlooking something simple. it can't be this convoluted.

chapelier fou

Re: how the hell do you simply send midi control data?

Post by chapelier fou » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am

I am afraid this is one of live's biggest weakness. What you can do if you need to automate parameters on your jomox, and given that it outputs midi, is use the jomox's knobs and record their moves in live.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:11 pm

there's actually a few ways of doing that in Live (all slightly convoluted).

one is to create a custom control surface script, as Stray/metastatik describes in this thread (it's actually pretty easy, you just duplicate the example script that Ableton provides and change a few numbers with a text editor);

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86902

another is to create a Max4Live device, or use one that somebody else has already made (assuming you have M4L of course).

and there is a quick and dirty way using the remote MIDI control of Live (the second method in this article):

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/08/ ... on-live/2/

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:18 pm

The quickest simplest way to do it would be to use Macrobat, which is included in Clyphx. Google.
ImageImage

timday

Post by timday » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:27 pm

There's a couple of Max devices including control change 8 from Monolake which works pretty well. http://www.monolake.de/technology/m4l.html

But you can also just do ccs as clip automation in the MIDI track and they will send to the outboard gear. Unless you have a need to use a different controller to tweak the ccs that's probably the way to go.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:56 pm

shadx312 wrote:The quickest simplest way to do it would be to use Macrobat, which is included in Clyphx. Google.
ah yeah. good idea. the nK MIDI rack. you can even use it to send program changes and pre-defined sysex messages from the rack macros.