ALS files not showing under ALP files in Browser

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pb125770

ALS files not showing under ALP files in Browser

Post by pb125770 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:42 pm

For the last few weeks I've been suffering a problem where I save a live set (save as) in an existing or new project folder. When I try to open the file in the browser I click on the project folder but it shows as being empty - i.e. no live sets. When I look in the explorer the set are there. I can open the set by double clicking in explorer and I can also open the set by using the 'recent sets' route on the File Menu. So I know the sets exist and that my save was successful. But nothing shows in the ableton browser.

I've tried re-installing ableton 9.1.2 (which is what I was previously using). I've tried deleting the preferences.cfg file. I've removed any unused files in the project folder. I've moved any suspect plugins from my VST folder. I've checked for 0kb files hanging around the file system. I'm now at a loss as to what to do next. I use Ableton to play live performances and each 'set' is a real 'set list' so I need to use the browser function to drag and drop individual tracks into a new set for each performance.

I can't remember when I updated to 9.1.2 but it was pretty quickly after the update was issued so I don't think that's the cause (although I haven't rolled back to a previous version - perhaps I might try that next). I have also updated from Windows 8.0.x to Windows 8.1 - but can't remember when that was either, however it might be connected. I was wondering if anyone else has suffered a similar issue with Ableton on this or previous versions.

The last successful 'save as' that allowed me to open the set in the browser was in February this year. By 'open in the browser' I mean a single click that produces a drop down of all the tracks in that ALS file. That's what I want. Older ALS files are unaffected and allow the drop down but anything new or since Feb doesn't.

Further to this, if I open the 'manage project' dialog and click on the tab 'project contents' it confirms there is an ALS file associate, and shows it in the browser, however if I then double-click this to try to open the set (ALS file) I get an error msg saying 'The File "" could not be opened'. It's there and I can open it from the windows explorer.

Any help gratefully accepted.

OAKE

Re: ALS files not showing under ALP files in Browser

Post by OAKE » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:08 pm

UPDATE:
It seems like Ableton needed to thoroughly scan my external hard drive first.
To achieve that I added it as a Music folder within the Ableton Browser and waited for about 15 minutes until the whole thing was completely scanned. Now the *.als files show up and everything works as expected.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the exact same problem at the moment.
However, I am not sure if it is related to the update.

What I did before I discovered this problem, was to copy all my finished, older live sets to an external hard-drive. Only these live-sets seem to be affected. If I look for projects on my local drive, I can access the *.als files through the Ableton browser. Only my moved projects "hide" the *.als files within the Ableton browser structure.
However, I can still open them without any troubles from my Finder.

This whole situation is a bit of a bummer, since I can not access older iterations of my projects and quickly drag their instruments or tracks over into another project.

I am running Live 9.5 on OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite.