Electronic Music is "Cheating"???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jrob6716

Re: Electronic Music is "Cheating"???

Post by jrob6716 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:11 am

Sure it is.. when you compare it to these guys haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nls1HtXQe8E

Doesn't matter the Genre.. The Individual , Creativity and a fined tuned palette or Palate and a couple years experience make all the difference.

:lol:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 pm

8O 8)

Yes, that's fun but it recycled.

That's one of the reasons why I am listening to more electronic stuff these days rather than rock, jazz, etc. It feels as if so many people are essentially still recycling the 1960s - 1980s.

cstump

Post by cstump » Fri May 02, 2014 6:01 pm

As long as the electric grid stays up and you can plug in Electronic music isn't cheating and a viable tool, best thing to do is ignore the BS and put some music out. I see these discussions on the 3d art forums(of which I am a studied artiat in the paint media) and it's the same there..."If you can't paint or draw your NO artist"... POPPYCOCK, some of those guys and Gals put out some great work, once again the tools argument.

If the Grid does go down at least I can pull out the Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Fiddle(that's a Violin for any of you Non-Hillbillies) and tinkle on a piano, youz other Guyz and or Galz(dependent on the Grid to power your Electronic music) will have to get a couple of rocks to clack them together to keep my beat.
Quote:"There's a Bitwig thread born every second"

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri May 02, 2014 6:23 pm

Zappa:
“The most important thing in art is the frame. For painting: literally; for other arts: figuratively - because, without this humble appliance, you can't know where The Art stops and The Real World begins. You have to put a "box" around it because otherwise, what is that shit on the wall?”

the frame he speaks of regarding music is actually defining something as music. for instance, john cage has a piece of music with 100 years of silence. now, without calling it a piece of music, its just silence. but because he frames it as a composition, it becomes music. just like someone can find a candy wrapper on the ground and frame it up and call it art. or, i can go onstage and fart into a mic and still call it music.

now, what constitutes "good" music or art is up to the recipient. for your friends, the only good music is metal or whatever. people used to say john coltrane's 60s stuff wasn't even music- look how stupid they look now.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri May 02, 2014 6:52 pm

memes_33 wrote: the frame he speaks of regarding music is actually defining something as music. for instance, john cage has a piece of music with 100 years of silence. now, without calling it a piece of music, its just silence.
I don't know about the 100 years piece, but for Cage's shorter piece where the person sits at a piano without playing notes, the "music" or sound in that instance is meant to be provided by the environment.

By definition music has to have sound. If there is no sound there is no music.

As for the original question, electronic music can be easy or complicated, just like acoustic music can be easy or complicated. Not sure why there is any confusion on the matter.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 02, 2014 7:01 pm

the older I get, the more interested I become in the frames. When i was younger I existed inside a frame, and it was invisible to me.

But now I wonder - Who gets to frame anything? How is a frame determined as legitimate, or as illegitimate. Does anybody in the public really care as long as a few simple authenticating checks appear to be passed?

"I heard that Brian Eno is really hot on this new band called PoopHammer" LEGITIMISED

"I heard DJ Fartgasm trained as a classical violinist for 18 years before giving it all up to produce Minimal DeepBleep" LEGITIMISED

etc.

Nobody checks beyond the face value. Nobody has time for that.

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:06 pm

i think people that say certain music isn't music or isn't as legitimate are more focused on the process of making music rather than the end result. for me, the end result is all that matters. if a piece of music moves you or makes you feels something or think something, that's what's important. the end result shouldn't be legitimized by the process. it should be legitimized by the last point it reaches- the audience.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

mdk

Post by mdk » Fri May 02, 2014 8:38 pm

Angstrom wrote:"I heard that Brian Eno is really hot on this new band called PoopHammer" LEGITIMISED
lol. reminds me of this glorious piece of art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqX_3n4dNE
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri May 02, 2014 9:27 pm

perfection. In its way.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Fri May 02, 2014 10:59 pm

it's now harder than ever I think to make something good - access is easy - everyone is doing it

not sure if that's good or bad

I think it actually got harder to make music...

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat May 03, 2014 12:20 am

Face it, most people who have a low opinion of some form of music have a rationalization about the level of skill or talent required. But the skill and talent matters not at all to the listener. If I get a stronger emotional reaction hearing the Sex Pistols than Mozart what does that mean to anybody but me? Nothing at all...I like it and you don't. No question that Mozart had more skill and talent than John Lydon and Sid Vicious but that has no bearing on my experience as a listener.

Prog rock fans look down at pop as brainless, pop fans look down at prog as self indulgent wankery. Pop fans applaud their favorite performer lip synching at the Super Bowl but complain that electronic musicians just hit start on their laptops. Etc., etc.

Like I wrote in my earlier reply: you need a thick skin if you want to play music. If your self worth is tied up in what other people think you will be very unhappy especially if you are not a pop musician. Somebody is always going to think you suck.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat May 03, 2014 2:17 am

doghouse wrote:
Like I wrote in my earlier reply: you need a thick skin if you want to play music. If your self worth is tied up in what other people think you will be very unhappy especially if you are not a pop musician. Somebody is always going to think you suck.
agreed!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Sat May 03, 2014 2:23 am

login wrote:IMHO electronic music, specially techno/house/trance need to be heard in the proper setting/context to be really apreciated: a rave, festival, good club (and obviously their companions, recreational d...)
Many miss out on these aspects of the experience!
login wrote:
Electronic dance music was created for those context and for anyone that have not experienced them is very very hard to apreciate it.
Not in gtotal agreement here, there's plenty good stuff that can be appreciated sans d.... and off the dancefloor.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 am

doghouse wrote:Sadly that is a bullshit statement. If I get on stage and amplify my farts with a megaphone it might be creativity through sound, but it sure aint music. I have a very open mind and listen to a lot of weird stuff but some "music" is just noise. Hopefully that doesn't apply to anyone here 8O
Music is an entirely subjective experience. I like a lot of noise bands, I would go as far as to say that Merzbow is a more obviously an artist than One Direction. In fact noise and the like is well accepted in academic circles whereas One Direction are written off.
Essentially you draw a line in the sand where there is none. With the next post though you're getting closer to the truth IMO.
Face it, most people who have a low opinion of some form of music have a rationalization about the level of skill or talent required. But the skill and talent matters not at all to the listener. If I get a stronger emotional reaction hearing the Sex Pistols than Mozart what does that mean to anybody but me? Nothing at all...I like it and you don't. No question that Mozart had more skill and talent than John Lydon and Sid Vicious but that has no bearing on my experience as a listener.

Prog rock fans look down at pop as brainless, pop fans look down at prog as self indulgent wankery. Pop fans applaud their favorite performer lip synching at the Super Bowl but complain that electronic musicians just hit start on their laptops. Etc., etc.

Not that it matters one bit to noise bands, but it's IMO always good to recognize where your line is, and that other people crossing it aren't wrong by default.

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat May 03, 2014 5:29 am

Russound wrote:I get this a lot from some of my friends: "..."
Anyway, has anybody had similar encounters with such morons?
Wtf do you even say to that (in terms they can understand) to make them see how stupid what they're saying is?
So, your friends are morons and you want to convince them that they are stupid? It seems to me that the answer to your question is contained in your question.
Last edited by Davo on Sat May 03, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.