Which Instrument racks you use in your productions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balonny

Which Instrument racks you use in your productions?

Post by balonny » Fri May 02, 2014 5:25 pm

So far the best way of working in Ableton for me was with (instrument) racks, in particular when it comes to Dub Techno.
I'd like to know which racks do you use most - like the line-up of instruments and for which particular genre do you use it?
Cheers!! :wink:
Last edited by balonny on Thu May 08, 2014 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

störgeräusche

Re: Which Instrument racks do you use?

Post by störgeräusche » Fri May 02, 2014 6:05 pm

I have been making my own racks lately, exactly for those dubtechno patches (more than anything because I am producing a lot of dubtechno at the moment) so I can transfer presets in a very efficient way between the home laptop and the studio tower.
I am also starting to write the name of the synth used in the rack name, so I can dial the lighter ones (on CPU) when the set is already taxing my CPU.
Most of all Operator followed by various fx chains (this is where the funny part of the experimenting is) but also my beloved TAL U-NO-62 and LX, Synth1 VST and PPG Wave 2.V.
I love racks with push, mapping the macros makes so easy to effectively tweak and bring sounds to life.

Same with audio racks, i am more and more making my custom chains and saving them for later retrieval, in the past I always started form scratch but lately I kind of discovered templates -might be the pressure I am under to get my first live act after 4 years break ready -I have a gig at the end of the month!
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

balonny

Post by balonny » Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

störgeräusche wrote:I have been making my own racks lately, exactly for those dubtechno patches (more than anything because I am producing a lot of dubtechno at the moment) so I can transfer presets in a very efficient way between the home laptop and the studio tower.
I am also starting to write the name of the synth used in the rack name, so I can dial the lighter ones (on CPU) when the set is already taxing my CPU.
Most of all Operator followed by various fx chains (this is where the funny part of the experimenting is) but also my beloved TAL U-NO-62 and LX, Synth1 VST and PPG Wave 2.V.
I love racks with push, mapping the macros makes so easy to effectively tweak and bring sounds to life.

Same with audio racks, i am more and more making my custom chains and saving them for later retrieval, in the past I always started form scratch but lately I kind of discovered templates -might be the pressure I am under to get my first live act after 4 years break ready -I have a gig at the end of the month!
Hi there,
I definitelly agree racks are very good in discovering full potential of Ableton. My first racks were used as well in Dub Techno tracks.
Also, since you mentioned templates as well I posted yet another post on Templates here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202010
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

Warmonger

Post by Warmonger » Fri May 02, 2014 6:36 pm

I use triple Sylenth for oldschool supersaw leads.This way I can modulate each of 12 oscillators and 3 global filter with single knobs.

Firts knob is linked to detune parameter of each oscillator and has different max value. Thus I can get 100 vices, each at differnt pich, all at aonce. And control them smoothly and in constant relation to each other.

jbw

Post by jbw » Fri May 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Instrument Racks work well with Sampler, because it allows you to set up nice variations by duplicating a sample in the rack and applying different effects, etc. then mapping that variation to a different zone on the keyboard. Really cool use in my opinion. 8)