strange behavior with Lives' control surface preferences

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
morerecords

strange behavior with Lives' control surface preferences

Post by morerecords » Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 am

I have used the same UC-33 controller for 7 or 8 years.
I never use it as a reckognized control surface- I have always used it as a generic midi contoller, with no probelms.
but lately, I suspect since my last Live update was installed, anytime I startup Live, ableton is reckognizing the UC-33 and it is assigned upon start up. I change it, I save the new song file as a new templete. boom - everytime I open Live again, the dam UC-33 is back up there as a controol surface.

dixie237

Re: strange behavior with Lives' control surface preferences

Post by dixie237 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:20 am

Hi there,
I'm sure I read that live will now look at devices that are plugged in that have an associated default control script in the control slot list. If there is a "spare" slot and to have a controller, Live will fill it.
So the answer is to fill all "spare" slots with a controller that you don't have. So if you don't use any control slots but are using the UC-33, just fill them with "Nocturn" for example.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon May 05, 2014 12:35 pm

Had same issues with Live 9 and my MPK49/QuNeo controllers..

Live 8 would retain the settings I chose in preferences (not using the included scripts)

But now Live 9 automatically loads the MPK49 script and the QuNeo script regardless of what settings I've selected in the preferences and WILL NOT save the settings I choose.

I filed a bug in the beta reporting area 6 months ago, but have had little response.. Certainly annoying as I would screw up my sessions by touching a midi pad/knob expecting it to be the mapping I setup, but instead the script is loaded, and whatever mappings in the script take over.. volume faders would drop to 0, devices turn off, very unexpected behaviour when you've mapped everything to your own preference.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon May 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Heard back from Mads today, and it seems to disable the scripts from loading for devices which are hot-plugged (new feature in Live 9 for windows) you must leave the Input & Output dropdowns set to your MIDI device, but in the control surface dropdown - select "None".

Now your preference for "None" will be remembered. If you set all 3 dropdowns to "None" this preference for your device is not saved.

cheers for the reminder to dig more :)

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Thu May 15, 2014 5:03 am

still not working.
REally strange behavior.
I thought that keeping the uc-33 as a control surface but selecting none would do the trick, but its still really buggy and not consistent. Has anyone actually solved this? none of the suggestions in this thread have stopped the problem.
I think I need to revert to the previous version....

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Fri May 16, 2014 11:13 am

morerecords wrote:still not working.
REally strange behavior.
I thought that keeping the uc-33 as a control surface but selecting none would do the trick, but its still really buggy and not consistent. Has anyone actually solved this? none of the suggestions in this thread have stopped the problem.
I think I need to revert to the previous version....
You don't keep it as a Control Surface (that dropdown should read "None")

Leave the Input and Output setup as uc-33 instead.

ie:

Control Surface: None Input: uc-33 Output: uc-33

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Fri May 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Can you remove the problem script in question out of the scripts folder? (& Into another folder in another place)
I only leave the scripts I use in the scripts folder. Testing previously I discovered Ableton appears to decompile every script (in that script folder, not just the ones selected) at startup, every time. So I moved all the scripts I do not use into another folder I named 'unused ableton scripts'.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Sat May 31, 2014 1:23 pm

dr.mysterium wrote:Can you remove the problem script in question out of the scripts folder? (& Into another folder in another place)
I only leave the scripts I use in the scripts folder. Testing previously I discovered Ableton appears to decompile every script (in that script folder, not just the ones selected) at startup, every time. So I moved all the scripts I do not use into another folder I named 'unused ableton scripts'.
Good find!

I'd previously overcome this 'strange' behaviour by deleting the scripts associated with my controllers - but with the correct dropdown settings as I posted earlier, this is no longer needed. However, I will likely be removing scripts I do not use if Live is decompiling every script in the MIDI Remote folder at startup needlessly. Cheers