Automap type keyboards that aren't automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ciw

Automap type keyboards that aren't automap

Post by ciw » Mon May 12, 2014 11:41 am

Are there alternatives to automap out there? i.e. automatically mapping controllers with little screens that tell you what the controls are mapped to. And have a keyboard on?

I know about mackie control but they just make mixer-type controllers, not keyboards.

re:dream

Re: Automap type keyboards that aren't automap

Post by re:dream » Mon May 12, 2014 12:23 pm

What controller are you using?

I have avoided automap l because I find it interferes with my ability to map controllers.

Live's own mapping facility, plus scripts like SelectedTrackControl, give me all the mapping ability I need.

But, different strokes for different folks - if automap works for you, why abandon it?

ciw

Post by ciw » Mon May 12, 2014 12:29 pm

I haven't used automap yet, I'm considering buying a remote sl mk2. Previously I have used bcr2000 and emu x board (including with mackie control emulation which I found unsatisfying). I still use the BCR for live gigs. But I'd like to add something that gives me a bit more hands on control over vsts when producing, ideally without having to map things manually. Automap sounds cool but a lot of people seem to have problems with it, hence I'd like to know what alternatives are out there before charging ahead with it. Does that help? ;)

edit (looking at your sig) I just got rid of an access virus ti, because I like the portability/integration/flexibility of softsynths better. But, in an ideal world I'd like a controller that gives me that level of control over my softsynths.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon May 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Personally I found Automap hellishly frustrating. I had the impression that some of that was because of interference between automap and Live's own MIDI mapping. It was not a fun experience, and on two occasions I returned a Novation controller to the shop becuase it was such a pain.

At present I use SelectedTrackControl (http://stc.wiffbi.com/), which gives me very nice and direct control over a whole range of Live functions including almost everything in the selected track, plus direct control over a rack / drum-rack macro controls. STC can work with almost any controller, particularly if you are able to edit the codes your controller is sending to Live. In addition to my Push, I have an Akai LD8 (a fabulous little piece of kit) and an MPD32 (also good, but clunkier).