Driver Error Compensation: A question about stability

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beat roots

Driver Error Compensation: A question about stability

Post by beat roots » Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am

Is it normal for driver error compensation (DEC) to fluctuate in it's effectiveness. By this I mean, do the settings need to be adjusted based on the amount of CPU that is being used by the computer at the time? Or instead, is it a more stable quantifiable measurement based on an external connection i.e. the type of sound card used. The reason I ask is firstly because I am looking to set the DEC with a certain degree of accuracy and would prefer to set it once and feel confident that there is as little latency as possible. Secondly, I have noticed that through my own experiments the compensation does vary somewhat and in turn requires re-adjustment. Is there anything I can do to eliminate this variable and achieve my goal?

yur2die4

Re: Driver Error Compensation: A question about stability

Post by yur2die4 » Tue May 13, 2014 2:13 pm

If I'm not mistaken the DEC in Preferences is mostly for recording audio.

When you hear audio from Live and then perform to what you hear, you're playing at a certain timing in relation to that audio.

As it records you playing, the recorded audio delays a little bit. What DEC does is takes that audio recording and slips it back in place.

For recording in Arrangement View it can be especially helpful.

In my experience, it is kind of a butt when using it in live looping situations (someone correct me if I'm off on this).

So it really depends on what your audio recording scenario is.

dr.mysterium

Re: Driver Error Compensation: A question about stability

Post by dr.mysterium » Tue May 13, 2014 2:14 pm

I use a program called K10stat to 'undervolt'/'overclock' my processor. I found a chart online with the most efficient a stable speeds for my particular quad core processor.
Generally processors will shift into different speeds (much like a car transmission) depending on the processor load. Set all the gears to the same max stable value, and leave the idle gear set to idle.
this way, when your processing your running only one speed, and when you idle, you idle and cool. (Undervolting uses less volts so you should experience lower temps and faster speeds.)
I find that doing this creates a more stable environment for your applications to consitantly perform in.
This, for my setup, helps with fluctuation compensation, and in some situations relieves the need for it.

In other words, when my processor speeds vary, so does my driver compensation.
At least on my rig and pc.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.