MacBook - Use without Audiointerface

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Klepa

MacBook - Use without Audiointerface

Post by Klepa » Tue May 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi, I´m currently using a Windows-PC with Ableton Live Suite and an external audiointerface (TC Audio Desktop Konnekt 6). I´m planning to switch to a MacBook and use it for mixing while I´m on the train to work.
Is it possible to use the internal audio of the MacBook for this purpose or are there any restrictions?
Which MacBook is recommended for recording up to 10 audio-tracks, 5-8 miditracks (VSTi -> NI Komplete)?
Is it possible to use my two 19"-monitors at home with the MacBook?
Many questions, I know. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance.

naujpablo

Re: MacBook - Use without Audiointerface

Post by naujpablo » Tue May 13, 2014 10:45 pm

Is it possible to use the internal audio of the MacBook for this purpose or are there any restrictions?

For mixing, I guess so. Audio through your audio interface will always be better (day and night sometimes compared to the a/d converter on your macbook). But if you want to mix on the road, its ok if you return home and finish mixing/sound designing with your audio interface connected. But do not attempt to do some mastering with the macbook alone, because it sounds different (but not THAT different if you are inexperienced).

Which MacBook is recommended for recording up to 10 audio-tracks, 5-8 miditracks (VSTi -> NI Komplete)?

Any macbook with a Core i5 will do the job. I use up to 10 VSTs on a 2011 macbook (dual core intel core i5) with no problems. And you can always freeze the track if your machine slows down. Oh, and try to get a solid state drive (SSD) to replace your hard disk. These are cheap and will make a LOT of difference on audio tracks and sample libraries.

Is it possible to use my two 19"-monitors at home with the MacBook?

I think you can via the Thunderbolt port, if you make a chain with adapters, but im not so sure about this point.

Sorry my english, its not my native languaje.

x

Klepa

Post by Klepa » Wed May 14, 2014 9:18 am

Thank you very much.
Don´worry about your language, it´s not my native language either,
as some might have recognized :wink: :oops:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed May 14, 2014 9:39 am

Mac's internal audio is perfectly good for ordinary purposes.

Your biggest issue for mixing purpose will be the quality of the audio that you actually hear.

So on headphones, you will not have an accurate picture of what you are doing.

So, some questions

(1) To get a good mix, you will need decentish monitors. What kind of speakers/monitors is your Konnekt interface connected to?

(2) Are you going to continue using your desktop machine? If so, how are you going to sync your tracks between the two machines ? Unless you do this carefully, you are going to have lots of problems with missing samples etc etc. (I have some pointers on that if you are interested)

(3) And how does you PC connect to the TC Audio? firewire, I assume?

(4) Do you want to be able to connect your Mac to your audio interface when at home? If so, check that your Mac has firewire. Some species of Macbook don't have firewire.

Klepa

Post by Klepa » Wed May 14, 2014 11:01 am

(1) To get a good mix, you will need decentish monitors. What kind of speakers/monitors is your Konnekt interface connected to?

I have very good Dynaudio BM5-monitors on my Konnekt. I intend to do only some rough arrangement- and mixing-changes on the go. The final mixing should be done on the Dynaudios.

(2) Are you going to continue using your desktop machine? If so, how are you going to sync your tracks between the two machines ? Unless you do this carefully, you are going to have lots of problems with missing samples etc etc. (I have some pointers on that if you are interested)

No, I intend to replace my desktop machine with the MacBook, therefore the questions regarding the performance.

(3) And how does you PC connect to the TC Audio? firewire, I assume?
Yes, the connection is firewire.

(4) Do you want to be able to connect your Mac to your audio interface when at home? If so, check that your Mac has firewire. Some species of Macbook don't have firewire.[/quote]

Would it be possible to connect the Konnekt (:-) with a thunderbolt-firewire-adapter?
Otherwise I´d have to change the audiointerface too...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed May 14, 2014 11:29 am

I think an adapter would do the trick.