Productivity tool: send to Trash

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

Productivity tool: send to Trash

Post by re:dream » Sat May 17, 2014 3:58 pm

So I have a file in my 'my sets' folder called 'sketches'. If I noodle around on Live and find I have created a couple of loops that sound good, I save it there for later development.

Today I looked in my 'sketches' folder and counted the number of project folders in there. It came to more than 100.

Some of them are promising. Some of them are meh.

But it does not matter.

Because they are just sitting there, being sketches.

My 'my sets' folder, instead of being a platform for creativity and productivity, is a museum for half finished ideas.

So I have realized: here is a powerful new workflow tool in my Mac Mini.

It is called the Recycle Bin.

It seems to me that what I need to do is to make sure that my collection of Live set is a production line, not a museum.

The sketches that are worth developing need to be turned into finished tracks.

Finished tracks need to me rendered out, mastered - and moved out of Live. Into Itunes, onto Soundcloud, or onto that EP I keep saying I will make.

Tracks that don't get finished, and sketches with no future, need to move into the trash bin.

So time to get productive... & start deleting :evil:

ilya.soloviev

Re: Productivity tool: send to Trash

Post by ilya.soloviev » Sat May 17, 2014 5:08 pm

nice one! I'm doing the same atm....

tkarmakid

Post by tkarmakid » Sat May 17, 2014 8:25 pm

I started a kind of a "megaset" like Tom Cosm, but filled with just loops and clips cropped from jam sessions. It became pretty large and cumbersome to work with and I did go through and delete a bunch of stuff too, which in itself was tedious. So now I'm thinking about leaving that idea behind and just saving smaller sets. If they don't go anywhere but have a couple decent clips which I keep and then clear out the rest. My idea is to go back to these ideas when I am working on a project that needs something else to fill in, I can reference these older clips from the browser and see if I can work them in to the current project. The megaset idea didn't work to well for browsing because it was just too big,like around 1000 clips. This was also the main culprit to why I posted a while back about live taking too long to save.
Hopefully the smaller sets will be easier on live, i.e. quicker to reference while browsing .
Anyway, cleaning up your project folders can be pretty liberating and sometimes difficult choices need to be made on what to let go. Hope it works out good for you.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun May 18, 2014 12:14 am

I love throwing stuff out! Virtual stuff or real stuff. Throw it out, sell it, or give it away. Just get rid of it!

I feel the burden of things demanding that I do something with them quite acutely. Likewise I feel liberation whenever one more thing can no longer wield any power over me by demanding my attention.

Of course, many people can manage their attention far better than I can, so YMMV.

:mrgreen: