Whats your take on this EDM sub-genre chart?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beattorrent

Whats your take on this EDM sub-genre chart?

Post by beattorrent » Mon May 19, 2014 2:28 pm

I have warped so much tracks that I forgot to tag them by genre and since I forgot to tag them now I want to organize them all properly so I checked online for a sub-genre chart and this is what I found to classify my tracks, what do you think of this? because there are some dubstep tracks on my list that has reggae tunes on it like rusko's soundguy is my target/jahova, some tracks are also slow pacing like juju, djunya, djg, tes la rok and I dont know how to categorize all of them because some of the old dubstep (ex. excision/datsik tunes) sounds the same so I looked online as a guide to categorize them, here's the chart that I found, if anyone has a better way of sorting them out on how they sound please let me know as each track has its pace either slow, mid, faster, rhythmic, melodic that sets the audience mood etc.

TomViolenz

Re: Whats your take on this EDM sub-genre chart?

Post by TomViolenz » Mon May 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Looks about right as far as my knowledge goes.

Just out of curiosity: What's the difference between Minimal House and Minimal Techno, and wasn't there once a genre called Minimal Electro?! :?

beattorrent

Post by beattorrent » Mon May 19, 2014 3:52 pm

I think minimal house is made up of fewer elements and less melodic while minimal techno have more sounds of techno on it, thats how I distinguish the two minimal sub genres and this is just my opinion I'm not sure about the others, also as you can see "moombahton" is also not on the list, I hope we get more input on this so we can all have a nice sub genre chart here in forum.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon May 19, 2014 4:17 pm

These are not genres, they are styles. And rather than being separate boxes, they are a ceaseless whirling web, their key characteristics a vortex of genetic attributes, evolving and morphing through the global jungle constituted by the planet's night clubs. And like jungle creatures their vernacular names - attached to them without much thought by the equally dispersed and schmangled inernational diaspora of clubbers and DJs - offer precious little clue to what they actually sound like.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon May 19, 2014 4:33 pm

These classifications are obviously the map and not the country side, but if you have thousands of files to prepare for a gig, they may be kinda handy ;-)

I at least would not like to go to a haphazard goa-dnB-garage-house-techno set. (Unless maybe if it's on purpose and well done...)

Thanks for the clarification Beattorrent

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon May 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Industrial is a sub-genre of jungle? lolwut?

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon May 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Every time someone uses 'EDM' to refer to the diaspora of electronic music (such as the author of this chart), I die a little inside.

login

Post by login » Mon May 19, 2014 8:48 pm

it doesnt explain the relation between genres. This one is better, outdated now but for the old stuff is a very good map.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue May 20, 2014 5:52 am

login wrote:it doesnt explain the relation between genres. This one is better, outdated now but for the old stuff is a very good map.

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
Ishkurs Guide To Electronic Music!!!

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it! :lol:

Very funny stuff!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 20, 2014 7:08 am

How do you people keep up wit dat shit?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 20, 2014 7:14 am

I clicked on the crunk. Got my daily dose of filthy kindergarten filth. Sweet!

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue May 20, 2014 9:48 pm

EDM is often referred to as a modern genre of dance music. A number of the genres listed are not entirely electronic, in the case of Dub, its not electronic music (Unless we want to get ultra pedantic). Jungle and D&B shouldn't be separated like that either. Industrial is not dance music.

And since when was minimalism a sub genre of dance music!? Whatever drugs that person was on when listening to Steve Reich, I want in!

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:57 am

Who cares.(Sub-)genre names change, come and go every other week.I'd just give them my own custom genre names (one of my folders is called "trap soul" for instance), in other words, tags that mean something specific to YOU.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:40 am

I dont agree with the trance list really. There shjould be Big room trance, uplifting trance, progressive trance, and psy trance, imo

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed May 21, 2014 4:59 am

I dunno, for some reason when I see that chart, I feel like there outta be a troll face at the very top :lol: