Reaktor 5 on sale for $99 until May 28th

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doghouse

Re: Reaktor 5 on sale for $99 until May 28th

Post by doghouse » Mon May 26, 2014 2:59 pm

So what do people actually do with Reaktor, mostly use existing ensembles or create your own? I have enough trouble finding time to program my own sounds from scratch on synths I already own (I'll gladly tweak an inspiring preset created by a talented sound designer), never mind building my own synths so I can program my own sounds 8O

Also a drag that two of the best ensembles (Monark, Razor) are not included.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 26, 2014 7:45 pm

doghouse wrote:So what do people actually do with Reaktor, mostly use existing ensembles or create your own? I have enough trouble finding time to program my own sounds from scratch on synths I already own (I'll gladly tweak an inspiring preset created by a talented sound designer), never mind building my own synths so I can program my own sounds 8O

Although I like to make my own synths it's almost a separate pastime from making music, nah, I mainly pilfer the best bits from the user library.

These will vary from person to person, but my favourites include : everything on this page ( all fine, fine modelled woodwinds and strings)
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co ... ll/300659/

The, ahem *Boland* 700r. http://www.native-instruments.com/en/co ... show/7013/

And other stuff from thereabouts.

But probably my most used ensemble is their Xmas give-away of a "cutdown" Prism (microprism) , except it was actually the full version with the controls set to "hide". So I unhid the controls, and got Prism, which is a very unique beast.

jbw

Post by jbw » Tue May 27, 2014 2:58 am

doghouse wrote:So what do people actually do with Reaktor, mostly use existing ensembles or create your own?
From the looks of it I may just end up tweaking some of the synths other people have made, as opposed to trying to build my own. So it'd be pretty much the equivalent of tweaking a patch.

I haven't even delved into everything yet, still going through the introduction, and already it feels like I got my money's worth. Fortunately the level of difficulty doesn't seem to high either.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue May 27, 2014 6:45 pm

doghouse wrote:So what do people actually do with Reaktor, mostly use existing ensembles or create your own? I have enough trouble finding time to program my own sounds from scratch on synths I already own (I'll gladly tweak an inspiring preset created by a talented sound designer), never mind building my own synths so I can program my own sounds 8O

I'd love to build my own but I the use ensembles, i bought komplete mainly to get my hands on the twisted tools stuff, superb reaktor ensembles, i could only dream to build something as good. Great for sound design and inspiration, the randomisation algorithms are really well done.

It's easy to patch things together and create custom instruments and effects. The effects are really good as well, i'm slowly beginning to use them more and more cause there are some standouts that sound as good as vsts, particularly the older stuff which i have overlooked.

I don't really used the Reaktor synths at all but yeah Monark is a beast. There are some cut down versions in the factory library though like Massive, lots to explore. If you want to get into building or check out tuts ADSRSounds covers a lot of ground. :)

GT

Post by GT » Tue May 27, 2014 8:03 pm

Purchased. Thanks. :)

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Tue May 27, 2014 8:49 pm

reaktor at this price is a huge value. imo, there's a handful of user submitted ensembles that are worth the price alone. some favorites: minimojo is an excellent, dirty-sounding moog emulation. frame3 is a very playable granular synth. fastfx core is fun for quickly shuffling, freezing an audio stream along with some other built-in effects. the user library can be a huge time sink though... there's just so much stuff people have put out, some great, some less than great.

** edit **
forgot to mention: http://boscomac.free.fr/
this guy's collection is very, very usable. be sure to drop him a donation if you use his stuff. it's better than a lot of paid 'creative' plugin suites.
Last edited by slicedbread on Thu May 29, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

su

Post by su » Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Brent Kallmer's Reaktor tutorials are really well done IMO and are geared towards using and connecting existing ensembles rather than making new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bkallmer

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 pm

The ones at http://www.nireaktor.com are very good. Lots of freebie content.

I used to own NI Generator, the precursor to Reaktor, so I was confident I already knew how to build in Reaktor (well enough) bar some mysterious corners... but that salamanderanagram dude really knows some cool tricks. His wireless modulation matrix example is an excellent foundation for nerdy tweakers. The zero delay feedback filter is also very handy. I am not on some sort of commission BTW!

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Thu May 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Yeah they're really good for NI's stuff, the maschine tutorials are worth checking out. Reaktortips is also worth checking out, a good place to start with building. :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:45 am

Angstrom wrote:It's usually a solid path to a cheap Komplete upgrade too. I think they generally do this Reaktor sale, then they do the cheap upgrade deal to komplete.
Everyone should listen to this guy, his prediction might just be proven correct ;)

sinextesia

Post by sinextesia » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm

I should have listen to him... :roll:

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Woohoo , now can get ultimate for 474 euro :twisted:

sry 4 you @ sinextesia