The OfficiaL Ask Ableton A Question About Live 5 Thread !!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
::mic-minimal::

The OfficiaL Ask Ableton A Question About Live 5 Thread !!!!

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:18 am

this way maybe robert or someone can get in here and answer a few of our questions. and it might be a nice for all of us to keep the info in one place.

1. is the input/output parameters put back into the arrangement view in Live 5?

2. is there an audio slicer in Live 5?

3. can you Edit Audio in the clipview properties wavform window, like cut, trim, truncate?
for the love of Live

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:25 am

-is the Audio Engine supporting 2 CPU's, or has the audio/video over 2 CPU's not changed?

-any more Mac optimizations?

-any changes at all to Impulse (drag and drop between slots) ?

-does PDC work for 3rd party plug-ins?

-can i buy your pimp juice at the online store?

loophead

Post by loophead » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:42 am

Does 5 support third party midi plugins (vs audio plugsins) so I can spin some algorithmic composition tools ? :lol:
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:12 am

- are the device grouping chains extendable to non- Live effects? or does it only work with the native effects ..

- did you read and grant my wishlist specifically, because you guys gave me almost everything i asked for :) you guys rock ...
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:33 am

'It is also possible to drag a Live Set from the Browser into the currently open Set to merge the two.' quote link
is there any glitching of audio?
IE can we safely do this while playing?

how are the merged sets displayed in session / arrangement?

in Arrangement is the incoming merged set at the end of the current arrangement, or parallel (beneath)?

in Session - I imagine the new clips appear 'to the right' of current tracks, but ...
are the incoming clips at the top of the clip grid
or are the incoming clips at the bottom of the current clip grid
or are they at the current scene point

still lamenting the lack of multi session tabs for this function as I like to make my set order up on the fly :(

anyway .. a few good additions to Live5 that I really like. but thats for another thread ! :)

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:45 am

Will it run any better on the mac?

I really don't care, but it would be nice if it did.

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:56 am

Holy shnitt, glad I checked the forums, 5 totally made my day. I have read the news, and know 3 and 4 well, here are my questions:

Is delete midi mappable? i.e. if you are playing live and recording clips on the fly and mess up, can we finally have a midi mappable way of deleting the flubbed clip on the fly without having to use midi ox/yoke and bome's midi translator? Unless everyone else in the world is perfect except me, this is a needed request--people mess up clips recording clips on the fly (at least I do).

The markers and midi mapping of the clip playback head are an answer to prayer! Judging from the Mackie support, can I now assign an endless rotary encoder to the transport to easily navigate an arrangement?

Don't suppose that someday we'll be able to map one midi control to multiple parameters inside Live? It could be an optional thing in preferences to have old behavior or multi-mapping, or to turn warning boxes on or off. Anyone who's used P Dooms awesome DM2-to-midi software knows what I'm sayin'.

With the advent of instruments in 4 (and even with just effects in 3 and prior), it would sure be nice to have a midi mappable way of switching presets, and not just using program change commands (a cc knob that could rotate through effects patches could be pretty sweet for crazy sounds).

These are all minor quips I've been naggin' about since 2, but I must say I just about crapped my pants and started crying all at the same time reading about 5--can't wait. Hats off, abletonians, thanks for listening to us and making such a music friendly product.

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:10 am

proper sidechaining?

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:22 am

a few more:

- does the right-click context menu include changing name/color when right-clicking a clip? please??

- did we gain the ability to easily create curves on envelopes? curve generator of some kind?
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

gsbe

midi out from VSTi

Post by gsbe » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:34 am

I really was hoping to be able to utilize the output of VSTi's. Being able to record the patterns of the Groove Agent into a MIDI track for further tweaking and then using another VSTi like the Drumkit from Hell for playback would be a big plus for Live.

The other feature upgrades are unbelievable, you guys are insane! Cheers.

AdamJay

Re: midi out from VSTi

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:37 am

gsbe wrote:I really was hoping to be able to utilize the output of VSTi's. Being able to record the patterns of the Groove Agent into a MIDI track for further tweaking and then using another VSTi like the Drumkit from Hell for playback would be a big plus for Live.

The other feature upgrades are unbelievable, you guys are insane! Cheers.
what is your question? This thread is for questions only.

folks please try to keep it on topic. we've got tons of threads for praising the new features and wishing others were implemented. But this thread is for questions directed toward the Abletons specifically.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:42 am

Will I need to open the manual? The best feature of Live 2 thru 4 was that I never read it! And still made some amazing tracks.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Rene Hart

Will we be able to turn off Delay Compensation?

Post by Rene Hart » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:43 am

Here's hoping that the Delay Compensation feature can be turned on/off.

A great feature for mixing, but not for using audio input in a live situation.

gsbe

Post by gsbe » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:50 am

Ok, how's this: will the new version of Live be able to utilize MIDI ouput from VSTi's?

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:53 am

gsbe wrote:Ok, how's this: will the new version of Live be able to utilize MIDI ouput from VSTi's?
yes.. along with this:

- is MIDI now passed thru to VST's: ie can we use MIDI learn features in VST interface to map controls?

- is MIDI drag and drop from VST to Live interface implemented?
--