The OfficiaL Ask Ableton A Question About Live 5 Thread !!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rolly

Live 5 support for different time signatures within songs?

Post by rolly » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:24 pm

Hi,
Will there be support for different time signatures in a song so, for instance, will it be possible to go from 4/4 to 3/4 for a couple of bars and then go back to 4/4 and then on to something like 7/8? If this is possible will it be possible to control it in scene view live using, say, a midi footswitch controller?

jynxed

Post by jynxed » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:33 pm

jamesp wrote:Okay, I've got an EASY one.

Right now I'm using Live Lite GTR (imho, the best feature of the m audio Black Box, btw.) So if I go thru the upgrade process to Live 4, does that qualify me for the free bump to Live Five?

Soon as I heard about Five I emailed CS w/ this question, but so far, there's been no reply. Now I'm just sitting here, with money, waiting for an answer that'll get me off the dime.

TIA
I have Lite 4 from my M-Audio O2 and have asked them the same question as yours...Still no answer. Got my credit card right in my hands!!!

Cheers

Jynxed

Poster

Post by Poster » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:31 pm

still one important question stays unanswered;

Q: Altivec and/or dual core optimized?
A: _____________________________

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:30 pm

here's one that will be a MASSIVE workflow enhancement if it exists...

can I call up different device chain presets using individual clips?

That was, on one track I can have a clip that runs an auto filter and a distortion, and without having to change tracks, I can get the following clip to tun off those effects and run only with an EQ and pingpong delay?

hat

Post by hat » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:31 pm

Poster wrote:still one important question stays unanswered;

Q: Altivec and/or dual core optimized?
A: _____________________________
Amen.

Can we please, once and for all have an answer to this...

Also, perhaps it's been asked before, but will it ever be possible to use VST effects and record from external sources while Live is is ReWire slave mode?

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:06 pm

sweetjesus wrote:here's one that will be a MASSIVE workflow enhancement if it exists...

That was, on one track I can have a clip that runs an auto filter and a distortion, and without having to change tracks, I can get the following clip to tun off those effects and run only with an EQ and pingpong delay?

thats a hell of a feature wish.

bump bump bump
for the love of Live

borg

Post by borg » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:27 pm

that would indeed be a hell of a feature...

a popping hell, i guess... change scenes, and all of a sudden all these vsts/ableton fx are being turned on/off. it would be fantastic if it worked though...

i rather would like to see this:

please, can we record midi knob movement into session clips with LiveFive?
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:30 pm

jynxed wrote:
jamesp wrote:Okay, I've got an EASY one.

Right now I'm using Live Lite GTR (imho, the best feature of the m audio Black Box, btw.) So if I go thru the upgrade process to Live 4, does that qualify me for the free bump to Live Five?

Soon as I heard about Five I emailed CS w/ this question, but so far, there's been no reply. Now I'm just sitting here, with money, waiting for an answer that'll get me off the dime.

TIA
I have Lite 4 from my M-Audio O2 and have asked them the same question as yours...Still no answer. Got my credit card right in my hands!!!

Cheers

Jynxed
I thought about it and decided it didn't matter. Live 4 is easily worth the diff.
I must go now and strain my CPU mixing w/ effects. :D

chis

Post by chis » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:44 pm

sweetjesus wrote:here's one that will be a MASSIVE workflow enhancement if it exists...

I worry that the Abes will have to make some useability/ease-of-use sacrifices to make this feature. At the moment I can double-click a track and I know what effects are going to be running through it. If that changes based on the clip you're playing, what will happen to the MIDI controllers set to change effects parameters in the plugins on that track?

Great idea, bastard to implement and make it... um... not confusing. :oops:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:19 am

chis wrote:

I worry that the Abes will have to make some useability/ease-of-use sacrifices to make this feature. At the moment I can double-click a track and I know what effects are going to be running through it. If that changes based on the clip you're playing, what will happen to the MIDI controllers set to change effects parameters in the plugins on that track?

Great idea, bastard to implement and make it... um... not confusing. :oops:

The could create a midi plugin called "Controller" and say it has 8 virtual pots and a 'trigger' button underneath each of them.

You would map your 8 rotary's to the virtual pots in "Controller", and this is the only things you send midi data to.

Now if you have say an autofilter plugin after the Controller, you can turn MIDI mapping on (ctrl + m) and select the "Frequency" of the autofilter, then click on the trigger button for the corrosponding virtual pot in the Controller plugin.

This way all the effects in the device chains would ever be referencing a virtual controller number (1-8) and you would only ever have to set up a few "Controller" presets and voila!

supster

Post by supster » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:43 am

guys, ask simple questions that they can answer. we have a wishlist forum :) ie:

Q: Do we have user configurable key bindings yet?

thanks
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

mosca

Post by mosca » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:58 am

multiple clock outs? so i can sync more than 2 externals without daisy chaining (or am i missing something)

The Cube

Multiple VSTi output + Clip fades in Live 5 ?

Post by The Cube » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:26 pm

Multiple VSTi output + Clip fades in the arrangement window in Live 5 ?

Anyone can answer this?

For me it's the two things I would like to see in v5 or v5.1 that should have been since v4 at least.
If you think it's too repetitive, then you're not listening.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:41 pm

from what i understood of the new Live Clip format, i'd say yes: apparently, it saves the midi data and the associated device chain. so if you save your clip with devices turned on or off, it will be recalled when you launch the clip.
hopefully.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:17 pm

Oh, Yeah. What about the crap cross fader curve (or lack thereof)? Were you guyus able to impliment better crossfader functionality? PLEASE? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.