very odd prob with saving presets.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ian_halsall

Re: very odd prob with saving presets.

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:05 pm

I have never seen this and I save instrument racks a lot - is it a Mac specific issue?

I use windows 7 64 bit

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:28 am

ian_halsall wrote:I have never seen this and I save instrument racks a lot - is it a Mac specific issue?
Effects racks. Could very well be Mac-specific.
Make some music!

naekid

Post by naekid » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 am

Same issue happens to me.

Running Ableton Live 9
OSX 10.9.5

I get the error whenever I hit enter after naming something I created, or dragged into the User Library. This includes dragging multiple clips into the user library and saving them with a name, or creating a folder (occurs right after I give it a name and hit enter). There is about a 1-2 minute delay where I get the spinning wheel from actually hitting enter until the error message comes up.

Here is the console output starting from when I tried to create a new folder:
12/2/14 10:19:44.000 PM kernel[0]: hfs: mounted MusicManager on device disk1
12/2/14 10:19:56.000 PM kernel[0]: hfs: unmount initiated on MusicManager on device disk1
12/2/14 10:19:58.434 PM Live[53200]: Volume mounted: /private/tmp/KSInstallAction.4QpJno0dhl/m
12/2/14 10:19:58.438 PM Live[53200]: Volume unmounted: /private/tmp/KSInstallAction.4QpJno0dhl/m

Any help is appreciated!

Update: Just dragged a group of clips into Live, and got the same error, but no console output (well, some random ones related to firefox appeared, but no others).

Also, if I press the "esc" key after I get the error, it seems the folder/group of clips successfully saves. Odd...
Still very problematic, as it takes 1-2 minutes where ableton live freezes in order to save any new clips or folders in the User Library.

Update 2: Just saved an .als in my user Library and got no error. no console output either. strange... error seems to happen on about 70% of attempts.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:32 am

naekid wrote: Any help is appreciated!
Give all the pertinent info including the generated report file to Ableton support. I did and I am still awaiting a response. I don't see why this shouldn't be rectified. All issues I have reported have been fixed and explained. I will try this in 9.1.7b2 and see if this is different there. It's possible I missed this before because I usually use the betas a lot.
Make some music!

naekid

Post by naekid » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 am

Stromkraft wrote: Give all the pertinent info including the generated report file to Ableton support.
Will do -
by generated report file you mean console output right?

Update: sometimes even moving a preset into another file in the "Browser" causes the "Unknown File ID" error to pop up.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:54 pm

naekid wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: Give all the pertinent info including the generated report file to Ableton support.
Will do -
No, the .alp (Ableton Live Pack) file created when you choose support from the Help menu. You add this to the web form that is loaded.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

naekid

Post by naekid » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
naekid wrote:
Will do -
No, the .als file created when you choose support from the Help menu. You add this to the web form that is loaded.
sent.
I'll let you all know what they say.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:07 pm

naekid wrote: sent.
I did the same even as I didn't experience this again.

I corrected myself above. It's an .alp (Ableton Live Pack) file and nothing else that is generated.
Make some music!

naekid

Post by naekid » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Ableton's solved the problem! :)
Here were the key elements:

follow the steps outlined here:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/liv ... malformed/

I also did the following:

- Close Live
- Delete the content of this folder, but leave the folder itself in place:
Users/MyUserName/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Live 9.1.6/
- Launch the program and authorize a new time

Also, I had a User Library folder within the User Library folder, so I got rid of one of those.

Thanks ableton!

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:09 pm

this is a totally different issue to this thread ?

the error message is unknown ID

naekid wrote:Ableton's solved the problem! :)

- Close Live

Also, I had a User Library folder within the User Library folder, so I got rid of one of those.

Thanks ableton!
Complete Cycle, Contemporary Music for Film, TV, Media & Games.
http://www.completecycle.bandcamp.com

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:11 pm

ok, I just had the same issue unknown ID error

the only console output is this 10/12/2014 20:00:19.011 Live[421]: invalid drawable

Stromkraft wrote: That's totally beside the point. The interesting question is why this is happening. Can you please get me the error messages from Console?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:39 pm

topaz wrote:ok, I just had the same issue unknown ID error

the only console output is this 10/12/2014 20:00:19.011 Live[421]: invalid drawable
Yes, I saw this also in my logs when it happened. However I also saw this in connection to invalid drawable

Code: Select all

Live[96558]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_WRITE] delete: "No such file or directory" - 0x2
What type of rack were you saving when this happened? Did you have any indication the Ableton Indexer was running at the time? (Ableton support asked me this) I don't know how to indicate this except by opening Activity Monitor in Utilities and entering "ableton" in the search box up to the right. The Ableton Indexer should be in the list and display its percentage of the CPU. If it's using more than a few percentages I'd say it's operating. I suppose there must be an indicator in Live. I'd prefer to not have it running during sessions unless I've been idle for a long time.

I'm not sure either how the indexer can be involved but it could be regarding file interaction and file permissions. My issues were preceded by the wrong permissions on my plug-in folder after a bad installation. I have not repaired my user folder, where all Ableton stuff like racks is saved but that could be next if this issue reappears. But so far it has only happened when saving effects rack during only one session. I've been saving all kinds of other racks since without any problems.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

topaz

Post by topaz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:43 pm

I had some melda plugins in there. But it has happened before with various plugins.

Stromkraft wrote:
topaz wrote:ok, I just had the same issue unknown ID error

]
Yes, I saw this also in my logs when it happened. However I also saw this in connection to invalid drawable

Code: Select all

Live[96558]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_WRITE] delete: "No such file or directory" - 0x2
What type of rack were you saving when this happened? Did you have any indication the Ableton Indexer was running at the time? (Ableton support asked me this) I don't know how to indicate this except by opening Activity Monitor in Utilities and entering "ableton" in the search box up to the right. The Ableton Indexer should be in the list and display its percentage of the CPU. If it's using more than a few percentages I'd say it's operating. I suppose there must be an indicator in Live. I'd prefer to not have it running during sessions unless I've been idle for a long time.

I'm not sure either how the indexer can be involved but it could be regarding file interaction and file permissions. My issues were preceded by the wrong permissions on my plug-in folder after a bad installation. I have not repaired my user folder, where all Ableton stuff like racks is saved but that could be next if this issue reappears. But so far it has only happened when saving effects rack during only one session. I've been saving all kinds of other racks since without any problems.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:46 pm

naekid wrote:Ableton's solved the problem! :)

- Close Live

Are you indicating that you had the problem with "unknown file id" or that the Live 9 Database file can be connected to this issue as well?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:50 pm

topaz wrote:I had some melda plugins in there. But it has happened before with various plugins.
Interestingly I had one Melda plug-in in my chain too. I doubt that it's an issue involving VSTs, but since I had permissions issues with it I can't rule that out and VSTs were in my chain. Hmmmm.

Can you verify your permissions? I'm redoing that now. You know how to do it?
Make some music!