Midi Guitar - Jam Origin

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Midi Guitar - Jam Origin

Post by Buleriachk » Tue May 27, 2014 3:29 am

I just downloaded, tested, and purchased Midi Guitar by Jam Origin.

http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/

This software works WAY better than I expected. It tracks instantly, and uses no hardware other than your guitar (or anything with an audio converter). It is made for electric guitar, but I am using a Takamine acoustic electric (with nylon strings yet), and although I may have to change my technique a little (like, get cleaner) and set some kind of quantization, it is amazing to play all my softsynths. Not only that, but it does CHORDS!!!

And I can see the notes triggering on Push as well (and on Sylenth's keyboard)
Last edited by Buleriachk on Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

slicedbread

Re: Midi Guitar - Jam Origens

Post by slicedbread » Tue May 27, 2014 7:35 pm

interesting. so this sits as a vst on an audio track and sends midi out? i used to have a yamaha ez-eg, but the expressiveness just wasn't there. how's the latency?

Buleriachk

Re: Midi Guitar - Jam Origin

Post by Buleriachk » Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Latency isn't even noticeable for many patches (depends on which you choose, some are inherent)
The more I work with it, the more I like it.
Last edited by Buleriachk on Wed May 28, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

crumhorn

Re: Midi Guitar - Jam Origens

Post by crumhorn » Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm

My first reaction is that this is amazing. I didn't think it was possible to be honest. When applied to guitar it beats Ableton's pitch to MIDI function hands down, and it works in real time!

Will be interesting to see how it deals with other instruments/voices etc.

This is going to be a lot of fun.

But the GUI on the stand alone Windows version is really bad. It displays itself onto your primary display in full screen mode, which wouldn't be so bad but on my Laptop it doesn't all fit on the screen and there is no scrolling.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Wed May 28, 2014 9:44 pm

okay had a quick play-around. 1st impression is excellent. there's some black magic happening under the hood. the polyphonic detection is very, very good. another nice surprise is the included midi machine plugin. they've basically exposed midi events to a functional programming language so you can build up your own arps, scale and chord plugins. you could even algorithmically compose an entire 'one-note' song if you like. the cynic in me says they're crowd-sourcing their r/d because this could be a stand-alone product in itself with the right library of scripts. keep your eye on this company.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu May 29, 2014 2:11 pm

Have you seen the polyphonic tuner display? Crazy.

and I just discovered that you can route MIDI output from another track through the MIDI Machine and use it purely as a MIDI processor
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

crumhorn wrote:Have you seen the polyphonic tuner display? Crazy.

and I just discovered that you can route MIDI output from another track through the MIDI Machine and use it purely as a MIDI processor
yes, exactly! i haven't spent much time with it to explore what lua language features are already included, but i think lua supports 'class-like' structures so you can sorta get inheritance and interfaces (functional languages are kinda funky if you're used to classical object oriented programming). if the built-in script editor allows includes from other files/namespaces, then i think it would be possible to scaffold out re-usable chord, key, harmony, rhythmic modules/libraries.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu May 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Maybe interface with M4L?
slicedbread wrote:
yes, exactly! i haven't spent much time with it to explore what lua language features are already included, but i think lua supports 'class-like' structures so you can sorta get inheritance and interfaces (functional languages are kinda funky if you're used to classical object oriented programming). if the built-in script editor allows includes from other files/namespaces, then i think it would be possible to scaffold out re-usable chord, key, harmony, rhythmic modules/libraries.

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Thu May 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Maybe interface with M4L?
well sure, insofar that you can receive, transform & send midi to something else, but i'm willing to bet m4l has way more/better higher level midi abstractions. if you already have ml4, this probably isn't too exciting, but i don't and i spend time in other daws from time to time.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Thu May 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Well, I guess I'll just have to content myself with the guitar-midi aspect... :)
slicedbread wrote: well sure, insofar that you can receive, transform & send midi to something else, but i'm willing to bet m4l has way more/better higher level midi abstractions. if you already have ml4, this probably isn't too exciting, but i don't and i spend time in other daws from time to time.