LANDR - Instant online mastering

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
vonparty

LANDR - Instant online mastering

Post by vonparty » Tue May 27, 2014 2:58 pm

Just wanted to share what I think is a pretty revolutionary new tool...
instant online mastering. www.landr.com

Here's a promo code to get a free month trial of the pro service (no need to enter a credit card or anything annoying):
http://bit.ly/1nctHcU

savyurrecords

Re: LANDR - Instant online mastering

Post by savyurrecords » Tue May 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Care to do a bit better and post a before and after?

vonparty

Post by vonparty » Tue May 27, 2014 5:33 pm

I've been doing lots of double-blind testing comparing LANDR masters with pro mastering jobs we've had done... generally it's performing really well...

I'll do a before and after post soon...

vonparty

Post by vonparty » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

very useful for mastering dj mixes and live recordings too...

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:22 pm

I tested it yesterday and was pleasently surprised. Also good for instant filesharing. Upload your track, you get a free email with a download link for the mastered track. just forward to your agent/fans/collaborateurs. quick and dirty.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a go 8)

I feel like this should be one of those horribly stupid internet advertisements...

"mastering engineers hate this one stupid little trick, click here to see what it is" lol

I know it's not that but that's what it reminds me of :p
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Now if somebody would just release an "Instant online song generator," we could delete our DAWs and sit back & relax for the rest of our lives!
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:24 pm

So I threw a dance tune at it over lunch to listen to in the car at work today (I have a very crude mix of the track so far but it sounds decent). The tune was not really prepped for mastering but I wanted to see what came out. It actually sounded better than no mastering at all. Certain sounds popped out more that had initially been hidden and the was a better balance between the lows/mids/highs. I was doing some A/B switching in the car and noticed a less flat and narrow sound over all. I think it's great for a quick dirty mastering check and honestly sounds much better than no mastering at all.

It seems to be a perfect setup for doing a quick master for sharing with friends or if you're going out to play and want things to be a little more even and balanced on that brand new track you haven't had time to master yet. This is only one track but I think I'll try more just to see what happens.
I may also master the track myself then upload and compare the landr master to my own. Then at least I get to pick between the two. It seems like it's not an end all be all mastering service but something that could be very useful for other reasons such as a different perspective on a track you're working on etc... I can already hear things that I'd like to do to the track in the mix after doing a quick automated landr master.

The way I see it it's actually a very useful service even if it's not for the final product (in some cases I think it could be though). Maybe it's good with dance music? Maybe it's adjustments match my mixing flaws, hard to say but I don't think it should be discredited and made fun of so easily, it seems there has been some thought put into it that's for sure.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 pm

I would love to have a go at mastering something that someone had done by LANDR as well, could be interesting. :)

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 pm

it says in the fine print that 50% of the rights and 15% of any royalties you make go to them.
your tracks will be featured in German shizer films and in a cassette player in Ron Jeremy's new double length feature.

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 pm

H20nly wrote:it says in the fine print that 50% of the rights and 15% of any royalties you make go to them.
your tracks will be featured in German shizer films and in a cassette player in Ron Jeremy's new double length feature.
Yeah what do they own if you use their service…

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:40 pm

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:31 pm

We may revise these Terms from time to time, and will always post the most current version on our website. If a revision meaningfully reduces your rights, we will notify you (by, for example, sending a message to the email address associated with your account, posting on our blog or on this page). By continuing to use or access the Services after the revisions come into effect, you agree to be bound by the revised Terms.
of course you'll get an email after the rules have been changed, of course.

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:24 pm

H20nly wrote:it says in the fine print that 50% of the rights and 15% of any royalties you make go to them.
I didn't see that in the fine print. In which part do they say this?