How do I use Reaktor 5 with Ableton?!?!?!?!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MAS83

How do I use Reaktor 5 with Ableton?!?!?!?!?

Post by MAS83 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:07 pm

I just bought Reaktor 5 because of the sale that they have going on. Yet I cannot find anything that tells me how to use it with ableton as a plugin! And when I open up Reaktor 5 it never plays the sounds from the synths (etc.).

Can anyone help me out?!?

LONG LIVE TRON!!
DMS - MAS83

jbw

Re: How do I use Reaktor 5 with Ableton?!?!?!?!?

Post by jbw » Tue May 27, 2014 6:41 pm

It should install as a plug-in automatically, and show up in your plug-in folder within Live. In fact you should see four different Reaktor VSTs.

As for nothing playing, sounds like maybe you need to make sure it's connected right, so that the synth is connected to receive notes and also play through the output. There is a getting started guide which I found to be helpful, but I did not try to standalone version.

Beyond that, you're going to need to be more specific.

MAS83

Post by MAS83 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:01 pm

I finally was able to get it to work in ableton live but it still isn't playing any sounds. I can see that the synth is trying to play the sounds (I can see the digital diagram of the sounds moving when i hit notes.) But nothing is coming through my headphones.

jbw

Post by jbw » Tue May 27, 2014 9:17 pm

MAS83 wrote:I finally was able to get it to work in ableton live but it still isn't playing any sounds. I can see that the synth is trying to play the sounds (I can see the digital diagram of the sounds moving when i hit notes.) But nothing is coming through my headphones.
You need to make sure the synth is connected to the output. To do that enter edit mode, by toggling on the icon at the top with three little squares connected by lines. With that toggled on you should see all the input and output connections. You just need to connect the synth to the output.

Here is a pic of the screen you need to be looking at, this one shows no synths at all just a blank slate with the inputs and outputs:

MAS83

Post by MAS83 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Thank you so much! :D Now I can start using it haha :) I feel so stupid for not realizing that I should "Plugged it in". :oops: :lol:

jbw

Post by jbw » Tue May 27, 2014 10:40 pm

MAS83 wrote:Thank you so much! :D Now I can start using it haha :) I feel so stupid for not realizing that I should "Plugged it in". :oops: :lol:
I recommend the "Getting Started" guide, which be viewed from the help section at the top. It gave me a good idea of how it all works, and that yes, you need to make sure stuff is connected. :mrgreen:

And when you get to the section of that guide that uses the Monoliner sequencer and wonder why the randomizer won't work, well it's because you have to connect it too! 8O To get it to work, go to the Monoliner side panel->Connect->MIDI in->From internal instruments->then select "midi" so that it's checked.

Not to sound intimidating, as that's the only real stumbling block I've come across, and had to search the Reaktor forum for an answer to that one. :?

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Wed May 28, 2014 5:43 am

try loading Ensembles
not Instruments
will save messing about with outputs

dave

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Wed May 28, 2014 6:03 am

dave dove wrote:try loading Ensembles
not Instruments

dave
yeah. Reaktor can turn into a crazy rabbit hole of un-user-friendly technical creativity, but you should start by opening up things that other people have built in it. Browse the ensembles, and the user library on the NI website. The plugin synth Massive was originally built in Reaktor, and some other ensemble builds tower over a lot of heralded (and expensive) soft synths/instruments (look at the builds by Twisted Tools, or NI's own Razor or The Finger). It's an incredibly powerful program.

dave dove

Post by dave dove » Wed May 28, 2014 7:01 am

here's a short video to help
showing the difference between instruments and ensembles
i have kept it simple 'cos it can be confusing at first
http://youtu.be/xhQvRza2PSY

dave

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed May 28, 2014 11:20 pm

dave dove wrote:try loading Ensembles
not Instruments

dave
A good approach in general, be it a modular type plug-in or even a plug-in patch: start with what's given, then go to the next layer for more details when you're ready, as opposed to trying figure it all out at once and exhausting yourself.