synth kick vs. sample kick

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kingmauri

synth kick vs. sample kick

Post by kingmauri » Sat May 31, 2014 9:51 pm

hey!

at the moment i'm experimenting and trying new stuff with the lows especially with the kicks.
what you guys think is the "better" workflow: synth kicks or sampled kicks? synth kick (ex. with the operator) is extremly flexible. on the other hand are sample kicks easy and fast to use and maybe contains some extra atmosphere which you could not do with synth. what do you guys out there think is the best approach for a perfect kick?

yur2die4

Re: synth kick vs. sample kick

Post by yur2die4 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Whatever style you're going for will determine what suits you best. And of course your limitations.

Keep in mind also that you can use a combination of synth AND sampled. Or layer synth sounds, layer sampled sounds. Or with any of those 5 options you can then add fx to add/remove dynamic punch or body, grit and saturation, etc. It really depends on your track, and what realm you feel like personally exploring at that moment.

Also keep in mind that you can synthesize a kick and Then convert it to audio to use it as a sample.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:34 am

seconding synth kick layered with samples! When appropriate of course!

kingmauri

Post by kingmauri » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 pm

layering is a good point but you have to do it right otherwise you have to much in the same freq!
just came across to this http://quantizecourses.com/kick-drum-course/ . really good technique explained for the perfect kick.

thx for answers!

MissAngie

Post by MissAngie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:20 pm

kingmauri wrote: just came across to this http://quantizecourses.com/kick-drum-course/ . really good technique explained for the perfect kick.
Thank you too from part of silent readers, I think it will be very usefull :)
Last Ableton Live for progressive psytrance, I hope for life.
I recommand the quite or hot pearls hunt in the https://www.psyshop.com CDs seller database (to plan aspirine).
"Less is more", motto of minimal art.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 pm

kingmauri wrote:hey!

at the moment i'm experimenting and trying new stuff with the lows especially with the kicks.
what you guys think is the "better" workflow: synth kicks or sampled kicks? synth kick (ex. with the operator) is extremly flexible. on the other hand are sample kicks easy and fast to use and maybe contains some extra atmosphere which you could not do with synth. what do you guys out there think is the best approach for a perfect kick?
Pro and Cons for both.

I'd say if you need an acoustic based kick, Sampling rules.

For a synthetic kick, especially if you need it tuned, synth based kicks will give you more flexibility for tweaking. That said you will often find sampled based kicks that are perfect and already has a good deal of processing you won't have to spend as much time mixing it for punch or even Bass.

For something like hip hop, you will definitely want some good sample based kicks. And for electronic styles, you might as well learn how to program some decent kicks.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:40 pm

kingmauri wrote:what do you guys out there think is the best approach for a perfect kick?
I mostly use my ears 8)

You will get lots of answers here. 50% of them will tell you to use samples and the other 50% will tell you to synthesize your own kicks.

Personally, I use samples because I can always find something suitable quickly.