OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:11 am

djkilldyl wrote:It says on the NI site they are not currently supporting Yosemite.

Has anyone actually tried it?

I'm having constant crashes with Ableton so considering seeing if it works.
I've had very few crashes with Komplete 9. Not one I can remember that I attributed to it. Are you discussing this elsewhere?
Make some music!

Breaks Dude
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:55 pm
Location: Somewhere Warm
Contact:

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Mac OS X (10.10) Yosemite Compatibility News

Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

However, products with a hardware dependency, such as Maschine, Komplete Kontrol, Traktor, Guitar Rig and Controller Editor will not launch when AVIDs CoreAudioManager/Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Native Instruments is currently conducting further systematic compatibility and performance tests with the release version of Yosemite, and will provide new information as it becomes available.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by beats me » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Breaks Dude wrote:Mac OS X (10.10) Yosemite Compatibility News

Native Instruments has conducted compatibility tests with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite which have shown current NI products to work without any specific issues under standard installations of this operating system.

However, products with a hardware dependency, such as Maschine, Komplete Kontrol, Traktor, Guitar Rig and Controller Editor will not launch when AVIDs CoreAudioManager/Drivers are installed under 10.10 Yosemite. Native Instruments and Avid are working together to resolve this compatibility issue.

Native Instruments is currently conducting further systematic compatibility and performance tests with the release version of Yosemite, and will provide new information as it becomes available.

So are you good if you don't use Pro Tools and never have or is this some driver that just gets installed by default for some stupid reason?

Leax
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Leax » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:02 am

oblique strategies wrote:
Leax wrote:I really want to go for Yosemite but my laptop is my main workstation so I can't afford losing major plugins...
You can install Yosemite on an external drive or a separate partition on your computer:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806 ... emite.html

I have my MacBook Pro partitioned into 2 partitions:
1. Mavericks
2. Snow Leopard

I will be installing Yosemite on an external firewire 800 drive. If Yosemite is better than Mavericks (which I sincerely hope is the case, being underwhelmed by Mavericks in nearly every possible way) then I'll install it over the Mavericks partition.
Thanks for the idea, I think I'm going to try that. Better checking the compatibility myself with all my plugins !

ebowla
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:36 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by ebowla » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Yosemite is working fine here with ableton and reaktor as an audio unit in ableton

Leax
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Leax » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Ok, did a clean install on a SD card.
It was a bit painful but it worked :P

Here are the plugins I tried so far :
- Soundtoys plugins are working.
- Alchemy is not working (to be confirmed, I'll try a clean install later) EDIT : Alchemy is working.
- Fabfilter plugins are working.
- PSPaudioware are working
- U-he plugins (Satin, Diva) seems not to work (TBC)
- NI FM8 is working.
Last edited by Leax on Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Dub
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:20 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Dr Dub » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Yosemite works fine for me, using just Live without any Vsts.

Does not mean it will work for you 8O
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

fangjnr
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:32 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by fangjnr » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 pm

My experience with NI stuff.

I couldn't get an ableton project with NI plug ins to load on Yosemite.

I could load a blank session and open NI products.

Guitar rig would not open in standalone.

Komplete Kontrol plug in would not work at all.

I did have pro tools 10 on my system that yosemite automatically disabled and I believe the left overs caused some issues.

I had issues with Focusrite Scarlett sound cards 18i20 and 2i2. They would only play sound from one application at a time and caused itunes to play in half time (which was quite an experience)

I am back to Mavericks now and everything is working fine.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 pm

This is a very useful general resource page Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite compatibility at macosxaudio.com.
Make some music!

mholloway
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:24 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by mholloway » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

fangjnr wrote:My experience with NI stuff.

I couldn't get an ableton project with NI plug ins to load on Yosemite.

I could load a blank session and open NI products.

Guitar rig would not open in standalone.

Komplete Kontrol plug in would not work at all.

I did have pro tools 10 on my system that yosemite automatically disabled and I believe the left overs caused some issues.

I had issues with Focusrite Scarlett sound cards 18i20 and 2i2. They would only play sound from one application at a time and caused itunes to play in half time (which was quite an experience)

I am back to Mavericks now and everything is working fine.
You should probably create a support ticket with NI, seeing as they just mailed everyone saying that their Yosemite tests have revealed no compatibility issues with NI products, save the noted Avid driver issue (see above in thread). I'm running all the Komplete products without issue in Yosemite...

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

tekkers
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: stoke - uk
Contact:

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by tekkers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 pm

my M Audio Midisport 2 x 2 has died completely and there isnt drivers for it..

i have other midi outs, but really its pretty poor that something so simple has died..

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm

tekkers wrote:my M Audio Midisport 2 x 2 has died completely and there isnt drivers for it..

i have other midi outs, but really its pretty poor that something so simple has died..
What does inMusic say about this? AFAIK they own M-Audio.
Make some music!

jbw
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by jbw » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:25 am

oblique strategies wrote:
Leax wrote:I really want to go for Yosemite but my laptop is my main workstation so I can't afford losing major plugins...
You can install Yosemite on an external drive or a separate partition on your computer:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806 ... emite.html

I have my MacBook Pro partitioned into 2 partitions:
1. Mavericks
2. Snow Leopard

I will be installing Yosemite on an external firewire 800 drive. If Yosemite is better than Mavericks (which I sincerely hope is the case, being underwhelmed by Mavericks in nearly every possible way) then I'll install it over the Mavericks partition.
Thanks for this. Installing on a partition was extremely easy to do. During the installation it even asks if you want to import your files and settings, which I did from a Time Machine backup on an external drive. It says you an do this later using the Migration Assistant too.

Now to test it out...

jbw
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by jbw » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:05 am

jbw wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:
Leax wrote:I really want to go for Yosemite but my laptop is my main workstation so I can't afford losing major plugins...
You can install Yosemite on an external drive or a separate partition on your computer:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806 ... emite.html

I have my MacBook Pro partitioned into 2 partitions:
1. Mavericks
2. Snow Leopard

I will be installing Yosemite on an external firewire 800 drive. If Yosemite is better than Mavericks (which I sincerely hope is the case, being underwhelmed by Mavericks in nearly every possible way) then I'll install it over the Mavericks partition.
Thanks for this. Installing on a partition was extremely easy to do. During the installation it even asks if you want to import your files and settings, which I did from a Time Machine backup on an external drive. It says you an do this later using the Migration Assistant too.

Now to test it out...
Everything appears to be working okay, but I checked with each developer first so I did not anticipate any problems.

One other thing thing about partitioning, you can actually transfer files manually between each partition. Yes, I am new to partitioning. :mrgreen: What makes this cool is if you have enough room on your drive you can just split it in two, one for each OS, and not lose your old OS while testing out the new one. 8)

tekkers
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:03 pm
Location: stoke - uk
Contact:

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by tekkers » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Seems like a hell of alot of M Audio stuff is not working..
i suppose things like audio interfaces can be harder to code new drivers for ... but midi interfaces not working? Wow

http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/to ... er-support

Post Reply