OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:32 pm

I haven't had any issues with the beta to be honest, other than one weird one in iTunes once where I couldn't see movies. I use a Lynx Hilo and NI Audio6 for when I play out, and while I haven't tested the Audio6 in a few weeks, the Hilo has been rock solid the whole time.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Stromkraft

Re: OS X YOSEMITE hardware compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Ars Technica is a well reputed technical site that makes the most in-depth reviews on Apple Hardware there is. Here's their take on hardware compatibility for Yosemite (all of this is officially acknowledged by Apple for the current preview version)

"Any Mac that can run OS X 10.8 or 10.9 can also run 10.10, a list that includes Macs from as far back as 2007. Here's the full list:
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
"

Full article: PSA: The iDevices and Macs that will support iOS 8 and OS X 10.10

If Yosemite and Live 9.x are suitable together on each of these models is of course not quite so certain. Older hardware may need maxed RAM and SSDs or SSD Hybrids in order to function adequately. My model (in black) can't do worse if I'm going to upgrade. I plan to get newer model but decided to prioritize other stuff first as I have access to several machines.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Leax

Post by Leax » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 am

It's great to see that Live should work without any problem soon with Yosemite.
Have people tried other plugins / VST ? Any thing we should be aware of ?

I can't wait to go back to Yosemite, but I would be sure that all my setup would work :-)

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:50 am

I haven't noticed any issues with Live+NI products in Yosemite yet, but it's only been a day. The only odd thing was that it deselected my Saffire interface as the main system output. Live (latest beta) just kept working without requiring any reactivation.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:11 am

beats me wrote:I’m curious if there are any features in Yosemite that people on here actually want or need.
I'm going to spend some time in San Mateo at a house without wifi, and an iPhone plus Macbook Pro that hopefully will allow me to tether without AT&T in the mix asking for another $30+ a month for the privilege.

Dark Mode, and the lack of fucking glassy bubbles is a huge change for the better. I give kudos to Microsoft for beating Apple to the punch on dumping glassy crap. Improvements in transferring files from one computer of idevice to another is a huge improvement for me in terms of both business

I'm going to update the macbook pro here and see how it goes; from other peoples declarations it should be pretty smooth. I've a few 32 bit plug ins on there, we'll see if they can still be jbridged to 64 bit Live.

EAZYATM

Post by EAZYATM » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:10 am

My ableton live 9.1.5 won't work it won't load up when i click on it all i see now is the startup blue box load up, load up, load up... Thats all i see is the square blue box... 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:04 am

EAZYATM wrote:My ableton live 9.1.5 won't work it won't load up when i click on it all i see now is the startup blue box load up, load up, load up... Thats all i see is the square blue box...
On what exact OS X version? Beta or Release? Tried the Live 9.1.6 beta 3? Though Live 9.1.5 is compatible according to this official article:Mac OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" Compatibility

You can try and delete (or just move to the desktop) your file "Preferences.cfg" in the path "/Users/[your user name here]/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 9.1.5/" and see if that helps. If not, I'd try and move VSTs and Audio units in the path "/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins" temporarily to the desktop. If no change then, move them back and re-install Live.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:46 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
beats me wrote:I’m curious if there are any features in Yosemite that people on here actually want or need.
I'm going to spend some time in San Mateo at a house without wifi, and an iPhone plus Macbook Pro that hopefully will allow me to tether without AT&T in the mix asking for another $30+ a month for the privilege.
It looks like the tethering in iOS 8 and Yosemite still needs a carrier tethering plan to work, I was hoping this wasn't the case too :(
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Leax

Post by Leax » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:13 pm

gnurf wrote:I haven't noticed any issues with Live+NI products in Yosemite yet, but it's only been a day. The only odd thing was that it deselected my Saffire interface as the main system output. Live (latest beta) just kept working without requiring any reactivation.

Ok thanks. If you could keep us informed if you find any problem (or not) on any plugin, that would be great.
I really want to go for Yosemite but my laptop is my main workstation so I can't afford losing major plugins...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Tarekith wrote: It looks like the tethering in iOS 8 and Yosemite still needs a carrier tethering plan to work, I was hoping this wasn't the case too :(
Kinda thought that might be the case, they sure don't promote their 'in house' tethering as being privy to a service that already works without their 'in house' drivers etc.. :roll:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:10 pm

i got an email from Apogee about Yosemite and Mavericks. here's a URL in case anyone can use it...

http://www.apogeedigital.com/blog/apoge ... 0-yosemite

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Leax wrote:I really want to go for Yosemite but my laptop is my main workstation so I can't afford losing major plugins...
You can install Yosemite on an external drive or a separate partition on your computer:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806 ... emite.html

I have my MacBook Pro partitioned into 2 partitions:
1. Mavericks
2. Snow Leopard

I will be installing Yosemite on an external firewire 800 drive. If Yosemite is better than Mavericks (which I sincerely hope is the case, being underwhelmed by Mavericks in nearly every possible way) then I'll install it over the Mavericks partition.

djskpa

Post by djskpa » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Ableton 9.1.5 working good with Mavericks 10.9.5 but not working with Yosemite.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:19 am

What are the issues?

Have you tried the Live beta?

fangjnr

Post by fangjnr » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:54 am

I am stuck in yosemtie and ableton hell

I am using both 9.1.5 and the beta 9.1.6b3

At first things were going well. I just installed over Mavericks with the full Yosemite release after making a backup of my system. Some small issue with Java, but apart from that it was all smooth sailing.

Projects opened, plug ins worked etc

Then tried to update my Native Instruments stuff to see if I could get the Komplete Kontrol plug in working. This resulted in Ableton hanging on plug in scanning. Wouldn't even open a blank session

I couldn't get any projects to load. Some previous ones were now corrupt.

I tried to revert back to Mavericks, but the back up volume I made was corrupt, so I am stuck in Yosemite.

I deleted Komplete Kontrol and trashed preferences and re installed ableton. I could now get a blank session open, but no previous projects would load. Just spinning wheel.

It has taken a while to get it to play audio or receive midi again. I have so far been able to load one old project.

Considering wiping and doing a clean install, but it will be far too epic to get everything installed especially as I have Komplete 9 to reinstall.

It is really frustrating as I have such a meticulous back up routine, but I didn't count on this happening. Stupidly I have some serious deadlines this week.

Positive is, I got all my icloud files back that I lost when I updated my IOS stuff