OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:42 am

mac vs pc is always so much fun.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:51 am

eyeknow wrote:When I was with OSX....EVERY SINGLE UPDATE borked something. Ugggg, I'm so happy that I'm not going through that. People whine about windows, but it's not like updates to the core program bork stuff so easily.

My 2c, go with what works. I didn't even know mavericks was really "solid" yet.
Advice, and this certainly doesn't apply to just OSX, don't ever run a 1.0 version of any software until other people give the go ahead unless you're just excited to use it and are OK with having to wait for an update. It's about the dumbest thing that people consistently do.

"OK guys I just installed app/OS titty sprinkles v1.0 and it doesn't work with everything I want it to! XYZ company is awful just like KYJELI, whose product Assblaster 9000 left me with a distended colon! Worst company evar! Just like the last 200 companies I used 1.0 software with!!!"

I got burned a couple times doing this myself, and had the foresight to wait on Live 8, so my experience with Live 8 is completely different than most people who had problems for months.

That said, the odd/even rule seems to apply, and when Yosemite comes out I may instal it on the laptop, no upcoming gigs etc. Plus the rule seems to be that Yosemite will be the solid one, no matter what people using a BETA say. :x

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:25 am

^^^

Dealing with a lot of manufacturers and companies that do hardware and software it's almost an unsung motto that V1.0 - V1.2 are considered "Public Betas" to see what issues may need to be addressed before it gets a bigger launch. Produce a smaller quantity as a live test sample so if it all fails you are not left with dead stock. Remember the Push shortage when it launched?

Most serious launches and "stable" products will release with a 1.2 or later version either because no one trusts a v1.0 or because it has been through some real world testing first. Beta test programs are not really proper guides of a stable product because they are small samples and often people offering feedback do so in limited amounts or just don't use the product enough to really test it.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:12 am

But back in those days, mac was SO MUCH BETTER and they were so perfect and everything was flawless and......

I fell for it hook line and sinker. The most annoying thing with the updates is that when they did the updates inside the OSX (leopard or whatever it was) always futzing something.

It's my own fault. It was an underpowered computer and I fell for all the people saying "oh if you get a mac, everything will be awesome"

Anyways, I'm just blabbering, I'm glad those days are over.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:25 am

BTW you're complaining about updating OSX more than once and having it do things you didn't like, fine.

But, you're on Windows now, it should be perfect right? 8 has been out for how long? Your sig sez you're still on 7. :wink:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:34 am

Personally, I'm still on Mountain Lion on the desktop machine, and just recently to the x64 version of Live 8.

Mavericks works fine on the laptop, but why push it? Plus, the "every other upgrade is good rule" seems to apply to both OS's.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Machinesworking wrote:BTW you're complaining about updating OSX more than once and having it do things you didn't like, fine.

But, you're on Windows now, it should be perfect right? 8 has been out for how long? Your sig sez you're still on 7. :wink:
:roll:

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Basic functionality works, but there are some issues with the current Developer preview of 10.10. Firewire audio interfaces do not seem to work for example.
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

8ball

Post by 8ball » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:39 pm

cids wrote:Basic functionality works, but there are some issues with the current Developer preview of 10.10. Firewire audio interfaces do not seem to work for example.
Are they at least recognized? Or Yosemite just doesn't recognize them as plugged in?

8ball

Post by 8ball » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Craig Fettuccine said in the keynote that we can answer our phone with our Macs? Now that's worth the free upgrade!

cids

Post by cids » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:51 pm

8ball wrote:
cids wrote:Basic functionality works, but there are some issues with the current Developer preview of 10.10. Firewire audio interfaces do not seem to work for example.
Are they at least recognized? Or Yosemite just doesn't recognize them as plugged in?

Not recognized by the OS... at least my FW interface isn't... (Focusrite)
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Well one thing is certain, developers have to, Apple users are way more likely to adopt a new OS than Windows users. If the the WWDC graphs are even half accurate, it's something like 50% Mavericks users out there to 15% Windows 8 users in terms of updating the OS.
um.... "OS X Yosemite" the X is not a letter X, it's a Roman numeral 10. technically, this is just another .rev update

if they don't use the code name no one can remember what rev they're on... hell, without looking i can't remember if Mavericks is 10.6 or 10.7... or is it 10.8?? fuck if i know.

8ball

Post by 8ball » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:02 pm

Windows 7 !

login

Post by login » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 pm

If FW interfaces don't work with yosemite it will tons of fun for developers, and may well be the end of teh already dead FW.