OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:52 pm

oblique strategies wrote: You can install Yosemite on an external drive or a separate partition on your computer:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2690806 ... emite.html
One thing to look out for if you are installing Yosemite on an external disk it that the Yosemite installer may completely hide the older startup disk which your current system resides on and this will be true in Terminal, the Startup disk preference app (In the installer's apple menu) as well as in the optional startup disks shown when holding down the "alt"-key during startup.
In this latter case, If you boot up from your Mavericks (or older) recovery partition instead (which normally is among the options), the older drive will be visible in the Startup disk preference app available there.
Make some music!

oblique strategies
Posts: 3582
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Another Green World

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:17 am

That's pretty bad. Is this new for Yosemite?

I did not experience this when I initially installed Mavericks on an external hard drive before partitioning my MacBook Pro & installing it alongside Snow Pussy.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:45 pm

oblique strategies wrote:That's pretty bad. Is this new for Yosemite?

I did not experience this when I initially installed Mavericks on an external hard drive before partitioning my MacBook Pro & installing it alongside Snow Pussy.
I've never experienced it before with Snow Leopard, Lion or Mavericks, so that's probably likely.
It's possible this depends on the type hard drive and/or the connecting controller chip in it. This experience of mine was via FireWire, both 400 and 800, with an oxford 944SE chip.
Make some music!

oblique strategies
Posts: 3582
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Another Green World

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:12 am

Thanks for the detailed info, much appreciated.

Did you have to boot into your older Mavericks recovery drive to start up in Mavericks? Did you have to do this each time toy wanted to go from Yosemite to Mavericks?

Does the computer display the Mavericks partition/startup disk when the external hard drive is not connected?

steko
Posts: 3388
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by steko » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:05 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

steko
Posts: 3388
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by steko » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:11 pm

oblique strategies wrote:That's pretty bad. Is this new for Yosemite?

I did not experience this when I initially installed Mavericks on an external hard drive before partitioning my MacBook Pro & installing it alongside Snow Pussy.

It'‘s related to "Core Storage":

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os ... stallation

Caution - Yosemite may screw up partitions. - MacRumors Forums

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1740900

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports ... index.html

http://osxdaily.com/2014/07/31/stuck-os ... ition-fix/

http://blog.fosketts.net/2011/08/05/und ... -commands/
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 pm

steko wrote: It'‘s related to "Core Storage":

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os ... stallation

Thanks for all those useful links. From the link above we can read:
"Core Storage is not applied to all installation targets. For example, installing onto an external hard drive will not convert the volume to Core Storage"
Make some music!

steko
Posts: 3388
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by steko » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Stromkraft wrote:One thing to look out for if you are installing Yosemite on an external disk it that the Yosemite installer may completely hide the older startup disk which your current system resides on and this will be true in Terminal, the Startup disk preference app (In the installer's apple menu) as well as in the optional startup disks shown when holding down the "alt"-key during startup.
Stromkraft wrote:This experience of mine was via FireWire, both 400 and 800, with an oxford 944SE chip.
So you installed Yosemite from your internal (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard?) boot drive onto an external disk, and your internal (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard?) boot drive became invisible, right?
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:23 am

steko wrote: So you installed Yosemite from your internal (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard?) boot drive onto an external disk, and your internal (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard?) boot drive became invisible, right?
Yes....? I ran the installer from internal and while booted from it. Then the installer booted from the external Yosemite installation (verified), at which point the internal main partition became invisible, but not the internal Mavericks recovery partition. As soon as I booted from that I could see and select the internal system again.

I did have issues booting from the external finished installation, but I don't think that was related to the internal drive becoming invisible.
Make some music!

steko
Posts: 3388
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by steko » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:34 am

Yes....?
:lol: 8) Just wanted to be sure...

I wonder what happens, if you install Yosemite (booted) from an external (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard) drive onto that same drive (same or different partition). I guess it then leaves the internal alone with Core Storage...
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:54 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm

.
.
.







.











.


































.




















.


















.



























.










.




































































































.
Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:31 pm

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:the problem with free os is lack of care to get it right. no pressure on them
This doesn't make a difference and is largely irrelevant to the discussion. OS X is not free. Apple users pay for the OS trough the Apple hardware. Non-Apple hadrwareMacs are one package, software (including the OS) and hardware.

In this case, we haven't seen anything particularly erroneous in Yosemite as far as music production is concerned. As have already been said packages like Live and Komplete usually needs an update, some plug-ins may not and some will need an update. Thats hardly unique.
Make some music!

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:54 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:57 pm

.
.
.







.











.


































.




















.


















.



























.










.




































































































.
Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

oblique strategies
Posts: 3582
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm
Location: Another Green World

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:11 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
steko wrote: So you installed Yosemite from your internal (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard?) boot drive onto an external disk, and your internal (Mavericks/Mountain Lion/ Snow Leopard?) boot drive became invisible, right?
Yes....? I ran the installer from internal and while booted from it. Then the installer booted from the external Yosemite installation (verified), at which point the internal main partition became invisible, but not the internal Mavericks recovery partition. As soon as I booted from that I could see and select the internal system again.
Thanks for the clarification.
Stromkraft wrote:I did have issues booting from the external finished installation, but I don't think that was related to the internal drive becoming invisible.
Did the problems persist, or have you sorted them out?

Stromkraft
Posts: 7033
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Re: OS X YOSEMITE compatibility with Live 9

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:22 pm

ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends wrote:
it is free. no one paid for yosemite. you need to be educated on this somehow somewhere.
It's only free to download. You're not free to install it on any machine, just supported Macs. If own one of these you already paid Apple for it. That's one reason why Apple doesn't bother to charge for the OS separately.
At any rate your whole premise that users can't demand of Apple to fix issues pronto, because there isn't a set price on the transaction when you download the OS and install it, isn't really worth exploring further as it's just nonsense.
Make some music!

Post Reply