musical gift for 3 year old?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slicedbread

musical gift for 3 year old?

Post by slicedbread » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 pm

gotta get something for my niece. i was thinking about a color-coded xylophone just to teach basic note relationships, but is there anything else (maybe even a tiny synth) a kid might grow into and learn more from? oh yeah, fun would be good too.

jlgrimes

Re: musical gift for 3 year old?

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:26 pm

slicedbread wrote:gotta get something for my niece. i was thinking about a color-coded xylophone just to teach basic note relationships, but is there anything else (maybe even a tiny synth) a kid might grow into and learn more from? oh yeah, fun would be good too.
Harmonica. Kids tend to love them. Just make sure they aren't sharing it.

Cheap keyboard. But for a three year old a toy piano would work better.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31 pm

With kids myself that love music and obviously fun here are some suggestions:

- Refrain from anything that is VERY loud such as a horn/whistle. Toy Drums also can be trouble because the sticks will be used to beat up everything else in the place and hearing a plastic drum be smashed constantly is no fun.

- My kids love toy pianos. Doesn't need to be fancy, just a little battery operated thing with sounds and rhythms. Easy for parents to teach songs like "mary had a little lamb" and "happy bday".

- If you can find them, the floor pianos are great. The ones you can roll out and step on to play.

- Xylophone is another good choice. Look for one that has the stick on a string.

- Harmonica is a good one because they can take it with them and they are easy to play some simple notes but hard to teach a child how to play.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:21 am

My kid loves musical instruments. She is 4. When she's in my studio with me she wants to play with everything especially the things with awesome lights like Maschine and Push. She loves the synths too.

I've gotten her a lot of musical gifts. A toy piano, roll up key board, bongos, harmonica, flute, ukulele.
She definitely plays with the musical toys more than all her other toys. She basically hi jacked my ipad to the point where I just let her keep it and bought a new one. She plays with a lot of musical apps on there.
She also loved my monotron so much that I gave it to her.

So, I'm pretty sure she's into music but really kids will generally bang on whatever you give them.

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:33 am

Spend some time with her singing songs with a tambourine.

pskept

Post by pskept » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:04 pm

quick answer: i suggest a harmonica or a korg monotron

long answer: i've gotten my son a small guitar (which is really a ukulele), a harmonica and a korg monotron delay. he got most of these between the ages of 2 and 3. he just turned 3 last month. he really loves the harmonica and he is really starting to jam on it quite a bit. he spends a lot of time playing with the monotron but not quite as much as the harmonica. he plays the ukulele the least out of all of them and almost not at all. i love that when he plays the monotron he never plays notes in a traditional manner. he just blasts up and down the ribbon to get some sounds going and then tweaks the knobs to keep it going. i'd like to think that this is due to his first synth experiences which were with my keyboard lacking modular. my daughter, who turns 1 on friday has access to all of these instruments as well. she only plays with the monotron. she's started to play with it a lot lately. she'll pick it up and hit the ribbon a bit (the feedback is generally cranked from my son's session) and then she will get a big grin and start dancing.

my kids also both REALLY love the 1200s and mixer. my son requests that we "wissin to wekuds" regularly. my daughter will just push on the studio door until we go in there. they'll both push an empty, upside close basket up to the decks so they can get up there and rock the mixer.

the great thing is i don't really push any of this. i generally try to take them outside or try to play with puzzles or legos. i think they just see me doing it and are interested.

its all so incredible. kids are great.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Harmonica is bad advice. Either you've never been around children or you're deaf so I'm not even understanding why you're here!

Stick with the xylophone. At least they can be dampened if the kid sucks.
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:15 pm

+1 for a xylophone with a string on the mallet.

or...

get the entire collection of Barney & Friends on DVD so she can be singer!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Is everyone here intent on driving parents insane???
ImageImage

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:24 pm

good headphoes also a nice step to bring it close to them
biut if you prefer interactivity there are so many possibilites:
http://www.amazon.de/Goki-UC100-Kolbenf ... _toy_img_y
http://www.amazon.de/Vogelwasserpfeife- ... _toy_img_z

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:24 pm

shadx312 wrote:
Is everyone here intent on driving parents insane???
:twisted:

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:25 pm

All these posts and no one has yet dared come out with the obligatory drummer joke? fo' shame internet :(

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:38 pm

thx, sage advice all around. i do like the idea of a toy pipe organ. trying to find one of those old ones that have a constant flow of air going. a buddy of mine recorded with one and they sound great.