Is it possible to add cue points within Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alpertt

Is it possible to add cue points within Live

Post by alpertt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:45 am

Hi there. I may use some terms wrong, what i mean is: i have 1 hours audio and i want 00:00 to 03:57 track 1, 03:57 to 05:82 (what?!) track 2 etc..
So i can find songs easier when playing with cd player.

I can do that with toast titanium but its miksing capabilities very limited as you know.

I want to make my album, songs mixed (like first manu chao album) and still songs reachable separetly. How can i do that?

Hope my question is clear, sorry for my english.

alpertt

Re: Is it possible to add cue points within Live

Post by alpertt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:12 am

Thanx timbeaux, but this is not what i am asking.

Do this locators add some metadata into audio when exported, so cd players recognize new tracks? Maybe its not called cue point (thats why i said "i might use some terms wrong".)

If this is not possible with ableton, which program can i use? (im on mac.)

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not 100%, but I think what you're referring to is a function directly related to the burning/disc-creation process, which I think requires a program equipped to handle red book protocol. Since Ableton doesn't have a disc at once or render to disc function, I don't think it can accomplish this. You'd need another program.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:15 pm

audacity....it's free and pc or mac:

http://dj.rane.com/blog/track-marking-your-mix/
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

chrk

Post by chrk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:43 pm

zeropoint wrote:audacity....it's free and pc or mac:

http://dj.rane.com/blog/track-marking-your-mix/
Works, but is a kind of half baked solution. rane's cutting up the files along the track markers (export multiple).

You could do that step by step in Live using locators and the select till next locator function, then exporting the selection.

In both cases you'll have to assemble the individual files into a red book CD again in your CD burning software (and watch that this doesn't auto-insert 2sec pauses on import).

(If I didn't already have Sound Forge,) I'd mix in Live, export the whole set and add the track markers in whatever burning software I'm using.

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:38 pm

chrk wrote: (If I didn't already have Sound Forge,) I'd mix in Live, export the whole set and add the track markers in whatever burning software I'm using.
Problem is, i couldn't find out which software to add that track markers :)

I'm using Tost titanium 11 and it doesn't seem to have that option.
And audacity simply cuts files, not adding track markers..

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:05 am

GarageBand can do this, or at least it can for creating podcasts.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:05 am

alpertt wrote:I'm using Tost titanium 11 and it doesn't seem to have that option.
And audacity simply cuts files, not adding track markers..
I don't know Toast and I haven't seen a manual for download from their Webs (surprised to see Roxio, too, have been eaten by Corel btw.). But from one of the screenshots it seems that Toast at least creates tracks (thus track markers) from imported individual files. And there seems to be an option to edit pauses and fades. Try the manual or built in help on Audio CD burning. There may be more.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:33 am

XO Wave for the Mac i use... very good it is too...

Cheers
D

Jinsai

Post by Jinsai » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:47 pm

I would be shocked to hear that Toast Titanium doesn't have these features. If you're going to charge people for your CD/DVD burning software, it better be fully decked out.

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Jinsai wrote:I would be shocked to hear that Toast Titanium doesn't have these features. If you're going to charge people for your CD/DVD burning software, it better be fully decked out.
Well, importing individual files seems to create individual tracks, each of which come with a track marker 'naturally' (by red book standard).

I've looked at it in Nero now. That has a feature hidden in the audio file (=track) properties dialogue, where you can scrubb through a waveform representation and add indices. That's not the same as track markers, you can add 99 index points to a single track, but according to the German Wikipedia not all CDA-players actually read them anymyore. - On the other hand there's an option to split the original track at index points.

I'd expect Toast to have something quite similar.

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Splitting original track" is my most avoiding thing actually. If i'd split, i actually dont need software to "add track start/stop points".

What i need is whole 1 hour audio to add many start/stop points.

I have dl'ed <xo wave demo>, it seems itll do it (i dont have empty cds right now to test), but i must say, it shouldnt be so hard!!

adding start/stop points; it should be easy. with every program!!

ps: not every maybe, but at least cd burning programs, like toast..