midi- don't want to warp with tempo change

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cheameup

midi- don't want to warp with tempo change

Post by cheameup » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:29 am

heya

so I have a midi drum take i wanna clean up. its not recorded to a metronome but the time is pretty good. I want to set the tempo in the ballpark of the take and then warp it in time so i can edit it. problem is I can't figure out how not to warp the midi when i change the project tempo. the guitar audio take is easy just disarm warp but I can't find it in midi

how do I stop the midi warping when i change tempo ?
Peace
Live 7.whatever
ASUS 1.66 duo 2gB RAM - Vista
EDIROL FA66
MAudio Keystation Pro88

Jinsai

Re: midi- don't want to warp with tempo change

Post by Jinsai » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:00 pm

MIDI is always tied to the project tempo. You'd have to manually offset the timing of the midi clip to compensate for the project tempo adjustment.

The easiest way I could think to do this would be to render the MIDI drum track as audio (and mute the original), deselect "warp" on the rendered drum, and then adjust your project tempo. When you then get it where you want, adjust the original MIDI drum track with relation to the tempo change of the project, and it should fit in how you want it?

cheameup

Re: midi- don't want to warp with tempo change

Post by cheameup » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:49 am

Jinsai wrote:MIDI is always tied to the project tempo. You'd have to manually offset the timing of the midi clip to compensate for the project tempo adjustment.

The easiest way I could think to do this would be to render the MIDI drum track as audio (and mute the original), deselect "warp" on the rendered drum, and then adjust your project tempo. When you then get it where you want, adjust the original MIDI drum track with relation to the tempo change of the project, and it should fit in how you want it?

thanks man. sounds painful. think i'll just get the drummer to replay to a click
Peace
Live 7.whatever
ASUS 1.66 duo 2gB RAM - Vista
EDIROL FA66
MAudio Keystation Pro88