Opening .alp or .adg from version 9.x in version 8.x

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mariohardleft

Opening .alp or .adg from version 9.x in version 8.x

Post by mariohardleft » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:18 am

Like a dummy, I just purchased a drum rack that's made for version 9.x of Ableton Live....and I have version 8.x.

As it stands now, I (surprise) can't open it.

Is there a way for someone who has version 9.x to open the rack and save it down to version 8.x?

If not, any ideas on other ways to access this rack? It's just a drum rack with a drumkit...Not sure if it matters, but it's the DrumDrops hybrid kit:
http://drumdrops.com/drum-samples/1963- ... -kit/intro

chrk

Re: Opening .alp or .adg from version 9.x in version 8.x

Post by chrk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:09 am

mariohardleft wrote:Is there a way for someone who has version 9.x to open the rack and save it down to version 8.x?
Live doesn't offer an option to save for an older version.

If not, any ideas on other ways to access this rack? It's just a drum rack with a drumkit...Not sure if it matters, but it's the DrumDrops hybrid kit:
http://drumdrops.com/drum-samples/1963- ... -kit/intro[/quote]
Can you access the non-packed samples? Build your own drumrack from them?
Or ask drumdrops if you can swap your pack for the All Samples Pack and do the same?
You'd have to shell out more money for that, and it's a lot of work organizing velocity layers for every single drumpad...

(Or upgrade Live? I guess they'll have a summer sale in July/August.)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:58 am

if you have a reaktor5 version [as it is stated on their website]

you can download reaktor 5 player for free... easy way to access your drums

just an idea :idea:

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:01 am

If you open the .adg files up in a text editor u will see that the Live 8 version has a line at the top - something like
<Ableton MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="8.1_226" SchemaChangeCount="10" Creator="Ableton Live 8.3">

the Live 9 version will have somthing like:
<Ableton MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="9.0_305" SchemaChangeCount="10" Creator="Ableton Live 9.1.3b7" Revision="cf1ba3e847a545e6b2fc6390867f05b5f7048d32">

if u swap the Live 9 one with the Live 8 one and save it ( save it w a new name to be safe ) you should be able to open the Live 9 file in Live 8. Certain things dont convert - like if there's a glue comp in there it wont work and the EQ8 settings will be all wierd - But you can use the L9 .adg in 8. I do it all the time so I know it works.

Hope that helps,
Mike

mariohardleft

Post by mariohardleft » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:14 pm

That's great info, everyone. Thanks so much for your help. I'll give these suggestions a try!

Airfixx

Post by Airfixx » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Michael Hatsis wrote:
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:01 am
If you open the .adg files up in a text editor u will see that the Live 8 version has a line at the top - something like
<Ableton MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="8.1_226" SchemaChangeCount="10" Creator="Ableton Live 8.3">

the Live 9 version will have somthing like:
<Ableton MajorVersion="4" MinorVersion="9.0_305" SchemaChangeCount="10" Creator="Ableton Live 9.1.3b7" Revision="cf1ba3e847a545e6b2fc6390867f05b5f7048d32">

if u swap the Live 9 one with the Live 8 one and save it ( save it w a new name to be safe ) you should be able to open the Live 9 file in Live 8. Certain things dont convert - like if there's a glue comp in there it wont work and the EQ8 settings will be all wierd - But you can use the L9 .adg in 8. I do it all the time so I know it works.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Hi mate... This solutions sounds like just what I need.

2 questions though:

1. When I open the .adg up in text editor, the contents reads in crazy system code and not english, so I cannot see the highlighted text.

2. When re-saving the text file; how does one ensure it is saved as a .adg rather that a .txt or .rtf file.

Pls RSVP; you'll really be saving my neck...

Thanks in adv. :)

barr91

Post by barr91 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Airfixx wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:43 pm
Hi mate... This solutions sounds like just what I need.

2 questions though:

1. When I open the .adg up in text editor, the contents reads in crazy system code and not english, so I cannot see the highlighted text.

2. When re-saving the text file; how does one ensure it is saved as a .adg rather that a .txt or .rtf file.

Pls RSVP; you'll really be saving my neck...

Thanks in adv. :)
You need to 'Extract' the adg file first, using a zip utility app like Keka. Then you can open with Textedit and see the proper code. After you've changed the code you need to 'Compress' the file again using Keka. It should now have a .zip file extension and you can change that to .adg